You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-28 19:30:59

Mindstormscreator

Setting Locale and Hostname on New Installation Fails

Hello,

Tried doing an Arch install on my Acer Aspire One D255 today, but when I try to set the hostname and locale while chroot'ed into /mnt, I get:

Failed to get D-Bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

This occurs when running hostnamectl and localectl as per the Beginners' Guide. I had to set the locale manually in /etc/locale.conf, but I don't know what to do about the hostname, and something seems to indicate there's a more serious issue.

Any idea?

#2 2012-10-28 19:46:34

smakked

Re: Setting Locale and Hostname on New Installation Fails

WHat guide are you reading?

nano /etc/locale.gen

Uncomment what you need, save and exit the file
then type locale-gen

# echo LANG=en_US.UTF-8 > /etc/locale.conf
# export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Hostname

# echo myhostname > /etc/hostname

Last edited by smakked (2012-10-28 19:51:36)

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#3 2012-10-28 20:16:06

Mindstormscreator

I'm reading the Beginners' Guide... here's an example. It uses the hostnamectl command, which doesn't work.

I guess I'll just do the hostname the old way for now.

#4 2012-10-29 12:07:26

ifaigios

I edited Beginner's Guide yesterday replacing the old method of setting the default locale and the hostname, with localectl and hostnamectl. However, as you discovered, it seems that these commands require DBus to be running to work, so they are of no use in the chroot. Thankfully, thestinger  reverted my edits as soon as you found out the problem, so the page contains the correct information again. I am sorry for the inconvenience and for any trouble I caused.

#5 2012-10-29 12:23:51

Mindstormscreator

ifaigios wrote:

I edited Beginner's Guide yesterday replacing the old method of setting the default locale and the hostname, with localectl and hostnamectl. However, as you discovered, it seems that these commands require DBus to be running to work, so they are of no use in the chroot. Thankfully, thestinger  reverted my edits as soon as you found out the problem, so the page contains the correct information again. I am sorry for the inconvenience and for any trouble I caused.

No problem, thanks for helping! However, I think you missed a few 'systemctl' commands. There's three here and one here. I don't know how to fix them, so for now I'll just configure them on reboot.

Board footer