You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-31 23:54:02

amadar
Banned

[SOLVED] systemd: Launch helper exited with unknown return code1

Why might I be seeing messages like the following when trying to set up systemd?

[root@blah ~]# hostnamectl set-hostname foobar
Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

EDIT: The solution for me was to remove sysvinit and initscripts and go for pure systemd.

Last edited by amadar (2012-11-01 05:47:08)

#2 2012-10-31 23:57:33

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] systemd: Launch helper exited with unknown return code1

Did you search the forum?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151633 among many other topics.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-11-01 00:00:46)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2012-11-01 00:01:01

amadar
Banned

2ManyDogs wrote:

Did you search the forum, as I suggested?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151633

Yeah, I already found that post but the solution is not there. I'm not trying to use echo to set hostname manually, I'm trying to see why my hostnamectl command (and other *ctl comands) doesn't work, and there's no solution on that thread, just a workaround.

I have systemd 195 and polkit 0.107 installed.

EDIT: I replaced sysvinit with systemd-sysvcompat; then enabled syslog-ng, NetworkManager, and cronie services using systemctl enable; then I uninstalled initscripts. I'm not sure where during that process the commands started working, but they work now. But, that doesn't help people trying to migrate without having to replace sysvinit or remove initscripts first.

This is a problem because the wiki explicitly says to migrate rc.d settings to the new files used by systemd. However, since the *ctl commands don't work at this point, it's impossible for the user to know how to make the config files manually without intimate knowledge of their formats without using *ctl commands.

For example, how is one supposed to complete step one on the following wiki section? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … stallation

As you can see in those instructions, there is no information on how to create the new config files other than using *ctl commands, which don't even work at that stage. Some of the examples show a sample file, but the problematice ones are the ones that don't show a sample file.

For example, how do you make /etc/adjtime without timedatectl?

The wiki says that timedatectl [...] "will generate /etc/adjtime automatically; no further configuration is required", but then the Failed message in my original post is displayed.

I think I will change the wiki to offer a better walk through when I get the chance to migrate to systemd on my desktop which has many daemons and modules.

Last edited by amadar (2012-11-01 00:21:18)

#4 2012-11-09 10:35:02

rado3105

amadar wrote:
2ManyDogs wrote:

Did you search the forum, as I suggested?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151633

Yeah, I already found that post but the solution is not there. I'm not trying to use echo to set hostname manually, I'm trying to see why my hostnamectl command (and other *ctl comands) doesn't work, and there's no solution on that thread, just a workaround.

I have systemd 195 and polkit 0.107 installed.

EDIT: I replaced sysvinit with systemd-sysvcompat; then enabled syslog-ng, NetworkManager, and cronie services using systemctl enable; then I uninstalled initscripts. I'm not sure where during that process the commands started working, but they work now. But, that doesn't help people trying to migrate without having to replace sysvinit or remove initscripts first.

This is a problem because the wiki explicitly says to migrate rc.d settings to the new files used by systemd. However, since the *ctl commands don't work at this point, it's impossible for the user to know how to make the config files manually without intimate knowledge of their formats without using *ctl commands.

For example, how is one supposed to complete step one on the following wiki section? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … stallation

As you can see in those instructions, there is no information on how to create the new config files other than using *ctl commands, which don't even work at that stage. Some of the examples show a sample file, but the problematice ones are the ones that don't show a sample file.

For example, how do you make /etc/adjtime without timedatectl?

The wiki says that timedatectl [...] "will generate /etc/adjtime automatically; no further configuration is required", but then the Failed message in my original post is displayed.

I think I will change the wiki to offer a better walk through when I get the chance to migrate to systemd on my desktop which has many daemons and modules.

the same problem here....

#5 2012-11-21 22:37:57

mesziman

A simple minded beginner just copy "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" line to his GRUB cfg and then grub throws an error cuz no such command as init....

#6 2012-11-22 02:09:33

ichase

Mesziman - Are you just making a statement or are you having problem converting to systemd.  If you are having issues converting from init to systemd, please create a new post explaining your issuel.  This thread is marked as SOLVED so it's least likely you will get assistance from within this thread.

I just went through a headache converting my laptop from init to systemd.  A few of the fine folks here on the forums helped me out.  I have now converted my laptop and desktop to pure systemd.

Please create a new thread explaining the issues are you are having if you are in fact having issues.  Based on what I learned, I may be able to help along with others on here.

Thanks,

Board footer