You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-15 13:53:54

pholie

Last edited by pholie (2007-03-17 18:40:00)

#2 2005-09-15 13:59:13

Euphoric Nightmare

Re: .

i think if you just do like export xterm-color (can't remember exact name) you can get colors.  I'm pretty sure thats not right, but its really close...Someone help me out here!

#3 2005-09-15 15:26:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

pholie wrote:

xterm-color enables colours, but the keys don't work. It's worse than xterm-xfree86

The best thing is to not use any TERM value and let the terminal itself set it.  That way you get the intended functionality.  Other than that, if you have issues with keys but everything works as intended, it's easy to fix the keys.  Which keys, specifically, don't work right?

#4 2005-09-15 16:28:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

pholie wrote:

Other than that, if you have issues with keys but everything works as intended, it's easy to fix the keys.  Which keys, specifically, don't work right?

I've already said, with xterm-xfree e.g. in midnight commander Shift-F6 results in F8.

If there's not a normal solution i can live without colors but than i don't see the logic in $TERM. I have normal standard keyboard and i want to use it normally. Plus enable the colors in programs that support it.

I don't think terminal should default to "xterm"... make sure to remove any termName values from ~/.Xdefaults and any instance of TERM from your ~/.bashrc

Let's look at it this way... terminal is *not* xterm.  You are telling applications that it *is* xterm.  This is what causes problems.... if you want to know the logic behind the TERM variable, read up on terminfo (warning: it's long and complex).  Basically, the TERM variable tells each program what to expect from the terminal.  The terminfo will say "When a Control+Left Arrow is pressed I will send <ESC><ESC>0D to you" (I think that's the vt100 escape sequence....).  Obviously, your terminfo (xterm) does not match what your terminal (terminal) is sending.

You can adjust this with your ~/.inputrc : mine is here - as you can see, I have remapped home and end in a few terminals, to "beginning-of-line" and "end-of-line" repectively.  You can do similar things with the function keys.  If you want the escape code, you can get it by hitting "C-v" before you press the key in either bash or vim.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I think, however, you should talk to the people who made terminal about terminfo - see if they actually distribute a file (if not then ask them what you should be using, or create your own)

#5 2005-09-16 14:56:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

pholie wrote:

It's not only terminal's problem but general. Probably i'll let it be and will be living without color vim. Still there's gvim smile
Anyway phrak, thanks for letting me know what's behind the scenes.

Actually, I looked around - it seems "terminal" is a bit odd in that it reads the TERM variable that is set and emulates it as best it can.  This is the opposite of what normal terminals do.  Try setting TERM to rxvt-color or something similar, and see if you get what you're looking for.

#6 2005-09-19 16:48:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

pholie wrote:

Nope. It's not what i want.

Hmm... maybe try another terminal emulator?  "terminal" itself is not as lightweight as it may seem.  neri pointed out that gnome-terminal consumes less resources than terminal.

#7 2005-09-20 02:37:49

Euphoric Nightmare

Yeah, terminal is weird about a lot of stuff...I occasionally use it, for fear of having to try something else.

Board footer