You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 19:44:46

fuser

Trying to install Arch through USB

First I tried Unetbootin, the error received (before the installation screen and at the time of booting only)was:

Error /dev/disk/by-label/' device didn't show after 30 seconds

Then, I used Universal USB Installer and then the error received was "could not find kernel image : boot/syslinux/whichsys.c32

I tried to solve the problem as advised at their site i.e. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/error-coul … age-linux/ but it wasn't really any help.

Well that's it this is my post, straight out looking for help.

#2 2012-11-03 20:02:22

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: Trying to install Arch through USB

How did you download the iso? Did you check it after you downloaded it? Did you read the wiki topic on USB Installation Media?

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2012-11-03 20:03:39

djgera
Developer
Website

Please follow official instructions:
https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso. … ansfer#n64

Last edited by djgera (2012-11-03 20:03:55)

#4 2012-11-03 20:15:54

fuser

2ManyDogs wrote:

How did you download the iso? Did you check it after you downloaded it? Did you read the wiki topic on USB Installation Media?

Official website, torrent file and yes I did read that wiki article

djgera wrote:

Please follow official instructions:
https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso. … ansfer#n64

I am working from a windows machine.

#5 2012-11-03 20:57:18

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

fuser wrote:

I am working from a windows machine.

The wiki article has an entire section about using Windows. Try using a different tool to copy the iso to USB.

Also try searching the web for the exact error you posted. If I search for "could not find kernel image : boot/syslinux/whichsys.c32" I get several hits. The first one recommends using dd for Windows.

You will have to learn how to solve problems like this on your own (or at least do more research and try more thngs before you ask on the forum) if you hope to be successful with Arch.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-11-03 21:05:45)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#6 2012-11-03 21:17:48

fuser

But why would you think that I have come straight to this place without looking at web or I am completely ignoring search engines?? And sorry if I sound rude but these web searches also leads to other person's advice only as I am hoping with this forum too, so that also ain't exactly 'solving on my own'.

I will be happy to notify that I have solved this problem (and how) but I don't see any problem in posting this in here and looking for a solution through different channels other than search engines.

Last edited by fuser (2012-11-03 21:18:36)

#7 2012-11-04 03:59:11

mhertz

fuser wrote:

But why would you think that I have come straight to this place without looking at web or I am completely ignoring search engines??.

As you should allready know, then this is a distro for people doing there own research and thinking for themselves before jumping to the forums and asking stupid questions!

The wiki states explicitly _not_ to use unetbootin, and the official install-guide states to use dd or alike tool, which is also available for windows...

#8 2012-11-04 09:11:19

fuser

So, now its a stupid question? Its really good to know how lively, welcoming and supportive this community is just like the wiki describes. roll I have solved the problem by the way (problem was with my USB and not usb tools, none of those tools worked anyway.)  but I am  seriously appalled at the hostility of this forum. Is this question/thread a spam? Is it breaking any rule of this forum? Am I forcing or disturbing anyone to answer my question? If you don't like the question, don't bother with it.

or have you thought this way that may be this thread will come up in search engines potentially helping others if this thread is solved (as I have been saying that yes I am indeed looking for other channels for help but apparently I am not supposed to ask for help in this particular forum.)

/end rant.

#9 2012-11-04 13:39:33

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Hi fuser, welcome to the forums. Please mark the thread as [solved]. That way other users with a similar problem can know a solution is in this thread. Directions on how to do so are in Forum Etiquette: How to Post.

A response to your rant can be found in a different section, Forum Etiquette: Life is a Two-way Street.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer