You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 21:26:49

mordecaifeilbach

[SOLVED] XFCE4 Will Not Open When Logged On as Regular User

Please excuse me if I am being a noob, but I only installed ArchLinux yesterday. Whenever  I run

startxfce4

as a regular user, the screen goes dark, flashes the Nvidia logo, then exits to a dialog box that reads:

Unable to load a failsafe session Unable to determine failsafe session name. Possible causes: xfconfd isn't running (D-bus setup problem); environment variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set incorrectly (msut include "/etc"), or xfce4-session is installed incorrectly."

When I check the output after I click "Quit" on the dialog box, the output at the end reads

gpg-agent[1538]:error creating '/home/mordecai/.cache/gpg-agent-info' : Permission denied        (xfce4-session:1515): Pango-WARNING **:error opening config file '/home/mordecai/.config/pango/pangorc' : Permission denied

However, when I run

startxfce4

logged on as root, everything opens fine. Thanks for any help and/or pointers.

Last edited by mordecaifeilbach (2012-11-03 21:51:33)

#2 2012-11-03 21:33:50

mordecaifeilbach

Re: [SOLVED] XFCE4 Will Not Open When Logged On as Regular User

Also, when I try to start xfconfd it gives me this:

$ /usr/lib/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd
(xfconfd:20910: xfconfd-CRITICAL **: Xfconfd failed to start: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

I also checked the environment variable $XDG-CONFIG-DIRS and it is set correctly, and the xfce4-session installation did not return any error messages.

#3 2012-11-03 21:35:01

weirddan455

Looks like a permission issue

rm -rf ~/.config ~/.cache

You may not want to delete everything from .config but you may have to delete the XFCE4 related stuff.  Or you could just check the permissions on those two files you quoted and go from there.  Usually when things mess up that bad for me I just delete my local config files and start over.

#4 2012-11-03 21:50:41

mordecaifeilbach

Ok, thanks. I changed the folder permissions on those two files to "read and write" for all users and startxfce4 worked.

Board footer