You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-04 08:50:47

Gordon

Create on Intel - run on Amd

If I create an Arch Linux system on a PC with an Intel motherboard
and then move the disk to a PC with an AMD motherboard - will it work?
Will all the relevant modules be available for either cpu type ?
Both systems have on board graphics so I could install all the Xorg-drivers.

I want to try this as a way upgrade a friends PC with minimum down time.

#2 2012-11-04 08:56:26

Army

Re: Create on Intel - run on Amd

All the modules are in the kernel already. On every boot your system is being scanned and the right modules are being loaded. So afaik this will work just fine.

#3 2012-11-04 09:10:30

DSpider

Sound could stop working.

I'm still rocking an old i686 install I did back in 2008-2009 on an AthlonXP 2200+ (1.8 GHz). Now I have an Athlon II x2 250 (3.0 GHz), and of course, it has a different motherboard (because of a different CPU socket). So the integrated audio changed from AC'97 to a VIA VT-something HD, Other than that, it worked pretty much out of the box. I remember I transferred the HDD, that contained the Arch Linux install. You may be also interested in:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fu … with_rsync
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … w_hardware

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-11-04 09:12:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

The initramfs image created by mkinitcpio provides boot-time support for the specific hardware on which it was generated, so it will not work on the AMD box. However, the fallback image will, so you will be able to boot the AMD box using fallback, and then regenerate the autodetected image on the new hardware.

#5 2012-11-04 12:18:42

Gordon

Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess what I am up to this afternoon.

DSpider - Those references are great - I did not think of the word migrate when googling.

tomk - I had a feeling there was a bit of customisation after a full install. I sort of tried this last year but did not try the fallback.

Will post again when done.

Board footer