You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-05 18:00:59

poseidon

Plain user and systemd: dependency failed for local file system

I tried to switch to systemd, but ended up in a maintenance console (Enter root password or Ctrl-D to continue):
Enter password.
journalctl -b as suggested yields "Dependency failed for local file system".

I couldn't find a systemd troubleshooting page in the Wiki. So, can someone point me to such a page? Anyone willing to give some hints?

What I did so far: Did what https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd tells one should do to switch to systemd.
In the boot menu pressed e, moved one down to the line starting with "kernel", pressed e again, and appended init=/bin/systemd.

Somewhere I read that "mkinitcpio -p linux" should be issued to make systemd work. No (positive) effects.

Paul

P.S.: Shouldn't there be a topic "systemd" in "Pacman Upgrades, Packaging & AUR"?

#2 2012-11-05 21:20:11

poseidon

Re: Plain user and systemd: dependency failed for local file system

Tried my other notebook, which is a lenovo X220. Here the switch to systemd has been successful.

The other laptop is a 4.5 years old Acer Aspire with an Nvidia graphic card. But *the* difference seems to be that in /boot/grub/menu.lst root points to a UUID-identified partition. Has anyone observed this behaviour, too?

I'll try to verify this as soon I have access again to the Acer.

Paul

#3 2012-11-06 07:01:10

poseidon

No, that's not it, the Acer stil can't run systemd. Do I really have to reinstall?!

Paul

#4 2012-11-06 07:41:34

skunktrader

poseidon wrote:

In the boot menu pressed e, moved one down to the line starting with "kernel", pressed e again, and appended init=/bin/systemd.

According to the wiki you are supposed to append init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd if you are using the "Mixed systemd/sysvinit/initscripts installation" mode.  In all other configurations you should NOT have an init=.... entry since init becomes a symlink to systemd

Last edited by skunktrader (2012-11-06 07:41:50)

#5 2012-11-15 07:13:15

poseidon

But then something went wrong with my switch to systemd: If init=.. isn't added to the boot menu, the machine boots the old way. How is starting if not by grub?

#6 2012-11-15 09:31:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

Look for more details in the journal - the message you quoted is too general.

#7 2012-11-19 23:52:07

cfr

skunktrader wrote:
poseidon wrote:

According to the wiki you are supposed to append init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd if you are using the "Mixed systemd/sysvinit/initscripts installation" mode.  In all other configurations you should NOT have an init=.... entry since init becomes a symlink to systemd

As far as I know, the init= entry doesn't hurt anything - it just isn't necessary.

EDIT: Of course, it will hurt if the path was wrong...

Also, at least on my system, /bin/systemd symlinks to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd.

Last edited by cfr (2012-11-19 23:53:55)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer