You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-07 16:17:03

riccardo

[SOLVED] audio problem with Skype

Hello,

Skype audio (input and output) works correctly only when PC starts, but after using another audio tool/program, like vlc, youtube, Skype audio stop working. Only Skype audio, all other audio opplications continue working.

Running Skype from shell doesn't help, no errors in the output.

Can anyone help me? I'm using the last Skype versione on ArchLinux 64 bit, with GNOME 3.6 and Kernel 3.6.

Thank you.
Riccardo

Last edited by riccardo (2013-02-12 11:40:31)

Arch Linux x86_64 | GNOME | Genuine Intel® CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz × 2 | 3,7 GiB | Corsair Force 3 SSD 120 GiB

#2 2012-11-08 06:43:37

Dotslash

Re: [SOLVED] audio problem with Skype

Seems like the thing that happens when one program is using pulseaudio and one using alsa. Did you modify asound.conf? seems like this only happens when modifying it.

#3 2012-11-08 06:54:23

WonderWoofy

I don't use pulse audio, but could there be some 32bit libs that allow skype (or any other 32bit application) to use pulseaudio?  I don't even have the multilib repo enabled right now, and I don't really want to without a need, so maybe someone else could comment on this?

#4 2012-11-08 08:22:28

riccardo

Dotslash wrote:

Seems like the thing that happens when one program is using pulseaudio and one using alsa. Did you modify asound.conf? seems like this only happens when modifying it.

Never modified asound.conf sad

Arch Linux x86_64 | GNOME | Genuine Intel® CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz × 2 | 3,7 GiB | Corsair Force 3 SSD 120 GiB

#5 2012-11-08 08:24:59

riccardo

WonderWoofy wrote:

I don't use pulse audio, but could there be some 32bit libs that allow skype (or any other 32bit application) to use pulseaudio?  I don't even have the multilib repo enabled right now, and I don't really want to without a need, so maybe someone else could comment on this?

I remember that this problem happened after some system updates about 2-3 weeks ago, when I used GNOME 3.4 and kernel 3.5. I think it's something related to some updates.

#6 2012-11-10 09:50:18

gothmog123

Since a few weeks ago my problems have been unbearable bakground noise/sound completely disappearing every 2 seconds. Maybe also related to the new kernel. Only using alsa - any tips anyone?

edit: I installed the lts kernel and now the problem is gone.

Last edited by gothmog123 (2012-11-11 14:38:29)

#7 2012-11-13 02:45:00

Xaero252

riccardo wrote:

Hello,

Skype audio (input and output) works correctly only when PC starts, but after using another audio tool/program, like vlc, youtube, Skype audio stop working. Only Skype audio, all other audio opplications continue working.

Can anyone help me? I'm using the last Skype versione on ArchLinux 64 bit, with GNOME 3.6 and Kernel 3.6.

Thank you.
Riccardo

Did you install this package:
pulseaudio-alsa
When you installed pulse audio? If you are using 32-binaries and want pulseaudio alsa compatibility: lib32-libpulse and lib32-alsa-plugins are also required, see here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#ALSA

I am currently running Skype on a 64-bit installation with all of the above packages installed and have zero audio issues (outside of the Pulse loopback audio device being rubbish)

Also, I believe I changed Skype's settings to not allow it control over volume sliders, and I followed a couple other tweaks in the wiki entry for Skype.

Last edited by Xaero252 (2012-11-13 02:59:04)

#8 2013-01-24 20:25:01

riccardo

Xaero252 wrote:
riccardo wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.
Riccardo

Did you install this package:
pulseaudio-alsa
When you installed pulse audio? If you are using 32-binaries and want pulseaudio alsa compatibility: lib32-libpulse and lib32-alsa-plugins are also required, see here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#ALSA

I am currently running Skype on a 64-bit installation with all of the above packages installed and have zero audio issues (outside of the Pulse loopback audio device being rubbish)

Also, I believe I changed Skype's settings to not allow it control over volume sliders, and I followed a couple other tweaks in the wiki entry for Skype.

Hi, yes, I have pulseaudio installed:

[riccardo@cinnarch amule-adnza]$ sudo pacman -Qs pulseaudio-alsa
[sudo] password for riccardo:
local/pulseaudio-alsa 2-1
    ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

Now I'm trying cinnarch 64-bit, but the situation is the same sad and it's very annoying. It's very strange that I'm the only one with this problem.

Riccardo

Last edited by riccardo (2013-01-24 20:26:02)

#9 2013-01-24 21:42:40

Carharttjimmy

riccardo wrote:

Hi, yes, I have pulseaudio installed:

[riccardo@cinnarch amule-adnza]$ sudo pacman -Qs pulseaudio-alsa
[sudo] password for riccardo:
local/pulseaudio-alsa 2-1
    ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

Now I'm trying cinnarch 64-bit, but the situation is the same sad and it's very annoying. It's very strange that I'm the only one with this problem.

Riccardo

Not the only one actually. I have the same problem and I as well have the necessary files installed.

I have also noticed that when I have sound on in Minecraft that I cannot watch a youtube video or listen to music at the same time.

I think the error is with Pulseaudio or something along those lines.

#10 2013-01-24 21:56:27

riccardo

Running from the console:

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so

Moderator: Please use [ code ] tags around such listings. I put them in for you to keep this mess readable.

Last edited by bernarcher (2013-01-25 00:47:30)

#11 2013-01-25 02:06:06

Arctus

You never answered if you have lib32-libpulse. Skype requires this package when pulseaudio is used.

#12 2013-01-25 03:34:15

Carharttjimmy

Arctus wrote:

You never answered if you have lib32-libpulse. Skype requires this package when pulseaudio is used.

I forgot that I did not install it. It seems to have fixed my problem.

I hope that it will fix OP's problem as well.

#13 2013-01-29 18:21:36

riccardo

Arctus wrote:

You are right.

After the installation of lib32-libpulse and lib32-alsa-plugins the problem seems to be solved. I wait a couple of (testing) days and then I will put SOLVED on this thread.

Thank you.
Riccardo

#14 2013-02-12 11:41:30

riccardo

Ok,

problem solved.

Thank you.
Riccardo

#15 2013-04-05 15:04:24

carlos.vasquez

Hi,

I am having the same problem (I think). I updated several packages yesterday and my skype audio broke.

I ran some tests and found that if the pulseaudio client is running, skype only detects pulseaudio devices (only one). With this configuration I can hear all sounds (notifications and conversations) but I my mic doesn't work.

If I close my pulseaudio client, and restart skype, then skype can access alsa devices, and then everything works in skype.

I would like to either make my mic work with skype using pulseaudio, or be able to use alsa devices in skype without closing my pulseaudio client. I will appreciate any help.

Thank you

Board footer