You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-18 07:20:54

kierkegaard

Gnome 2.12 -Missing "Administration" menu category

Hi all,

It seems that Gnome 2.12 is missing the "Administration" menu category/entry. It usually appears under Desktop>Administration. It's usually above or below "Preferences." The "Administration" menu category/entry usually contains sub-entries such as "Display," "Date & Time," "Logical Volume Management," "Users & Groups" and so on. Gnome 2.12 is currently in testing.

Does anyone know why this is happening and,  perhaps, how to remedy the problem?

To see what I mean, take a look at this screenshot from another distro that is using Gnome 2.12:

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slide … 2&slide=28

#2 2005-09-18 07:27:50

iBertus

Re: Gnome 2.12 -Missing "Administration" menu category

I don't think the package that provides those utilities supports Arch Linux at the moment. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure that I've never had that menu in any previous GNOME release.

#3 2005-09-18 07:37:30

kierkegaard

iBertus wrote:

I don't think the package that provides those utilities supports Arch Linux at the moment. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure that I've never had that menu in any previous GNOME release.

Hi iBertus,

You mean you've never seen it in any arch-based Gnome desktop, right?

I'm surprised it wouldn't be included, since it's a pretty critical part of Gnome.

#4 2005-09-18 09:26:21

JGC
Developer

These are provided by gnome-system-tools, which don't support archlinux yet. When I have time for it, I will start working on it. There are packages for gst in AUR, but those are outdated and don't support archlinux completely.
There's no use for tools which look like they work perfectly from the menu, but when you launch it, they ask you if you have FreeBSD, Gentoo, SuSE, Fedora, etc etc and no Archlinux is listed.

When support for archlinux is done, I'll send it upstream so the next versions of gst support archlinux without problems.

#5 2005-09-18 14:18:18

kierkegaard

JGC wrote:

These are provided by gnome-system-tools, which don't support archlinux yet. When I have time for it, I will start working on it. There are packages for gst in AUR, but those are outdated and don't support archlinux completely.
There's no use for tools which look like they work perfectly from the menu, but when you launch it, they ask you if you have FreeBSD, Gentoo, SuSE, Fedora, etc etc and no Archlinux is listed.

When support for archlinux is done, I'll send it upstream so the next versions of gst support archlinux without problems.

Hi JGC,

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

I'd like to give you a hand with gst, but, unfortunately, I don't have advanced programming skills. I just hack around for the most part. However, if you need a beta tester, I'll be the first to volunteer. I would love to see gst as part of arch.

I've only used arch for a short time (three days), but already I know it's the perfect distro for me, so I was disappointed that gst was excluded.

Let me know if you need or want any assistance and I'll help where I can.

Thanks.

#6 2005-09-21 14:55:38

Moo-Crumpus

Yes, and obviously it is not really needed, as all the things that are included there can still be done using a terminal ...

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2005-09-21 22:11:09

kierkegaard

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

Yes, and obviously it is not really needed, as all the things that are included there can still be done using a terminal ...

Umm ... no, it's not obvious, and I find the position very puzzling. First, it's true that the the tasks in gnone-system-tools can be done from the command-line, but they usually cannot be completed as quickly. As pholie points out, completing these tasks from the comand-line is typically less intuitive.

Secondly, most of the things that you can do in KDE's admin-related panels can be done from the command-line also and yet we find that these admin-related panels in KDE exist nonetheless.

Finally, the position is additionally puzzling because almost all of the the things that you can do from Gnome's other panels can also be performed from the command-line; so, why not exclude these also?

I find that it's more effective, less time-consuming and less error prone to perform daily and ever-changing administrative tasks -- file sharing, network configuration, printer configuration, general, and user and group security -- from the Admin menu, rather than from the command-line.

#8 2005-10-23 13:26:31

Blaasvis

i spend the last day or two hacking on g-s-t, the progress is in unstable.
at this time the time-admin,services-admin,boot-admin, users-admin are working and supported.

known issues:

- not every service will show up, this is caused due to our own naming schemes of daemons. if you find one please add a bug report or email me.

Freedom is what i love

#9 2005-10-23 14:12:08

kierkegaard

Blaasvis wrote:

i spend the last day or two hacking on g-s-t, the progress is in unstable.
at this time the time-admin,services-admin,boot-admin, users-admin are working and supported.

known issues:

- not every service will show up, this is caused due to our own naming schemes of daemons. if you find one please add a bug report or email me.

I'll start testing it today.

Board footer