You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-18 16:25:09

billbar

cramfs install help?

Don't know if this is the only thing standing between me and 'klik', but it is one of them.  Been to sourceforge and downloaded cramfs.

Can anyone help with its' installation?

Thanks,
Bill Barnes

#2 2005-09-22 09:41:22

IceRAM
Website

Re: cramfs install help?

I have also tried to make klik work.

My investigation let to an unwanted conclusion: CRAMFS is not enabled in the ArchLinux kernel (I'll check archck).

#3 2005-09-27 05:09:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

The problem with klik in arch is that cramfs is not enabled in the kernel.

I have requested it be included at a previous time with refusal to "bloat" the kernel.

I have successfully used cramfs with klik in arch but had to enable cramfs in kconfig and install a custom kernel with ABS. 

I note the ABS procedures are now much modified and I hesitate to install cramfs with ABS because I don't follow the procedure as given in the wiki.  It is much too involved to determine the basic necessary steps to just change one item in a kernel with no patches or extraversion or local version or other details quite numerous which obfuscates the basic building of a single-change ina given kernel.  Would be very nice to have it identified as a custom kernel with a custom vmlinuz so the user could boot on the normal or the custom.

If you are able to modify your kernel to change the cramfs entry in kconfig =y, then the klik files can be enabled.  Usually, you have to address the /mnt folder to be successful in enabling klik files to open.

I have operated click files from desktop in arch, PCLINUXOS, and Knoppix among others.  They provide 50% condensed files complete on the desktop, no HDD search required and decompress on-the-fly.

I also found it necessary to change the fstab entries to enable users, thus providing root selection of klik.  Opera operated nicely in arch (at half the arch installed pkg size).

I encourage you to support a request for cramfs=m to permit it to be enabled as a module.

There are limitations to cramfs file sizes but there are a goodly number of klik files useful in linux in general.  They can easily be deleted and re-installed at users discretion.

Best of luck with cramfs!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2005-09-27 11:14:23

IceRAM
Website

I wasn't aware of the "bloat reason" for a kernel module. There is no BLOAT when it comes to kernel modules.

If enabling a module means having bloat, then having packages with all their dependencies means Arch is very bloated indeed. I think that refusing to add a module for bloat goes directly to support the "USE"-flags in Gentoo. Now, this way, we should remove all the modules in ArchStats/Kernel Modules with 1-2 users, shouldn't we?

I'm not very pleased with this reason and I hope this view changes in the future.

FlySpray task

#5 2005-09-27 11:29:06

nightfrost

how does one go about installing the klik client under arch?

#6 2005-09-27 12:08:52

IceRAM
Website

Same as on any other distro... if you have CRAMFS enabled in the kernel.
http://klik.atekon.de/docs/?page=How%20to%20use

#7 2005-09-27 12:15:39

nightfrost

oh, alright. Cheers.

#8 2005-09-27 14:55:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

The method I used to install klik is to follow the klik system which utilizes the following to automatically insert the required cramfs fstab entries and allows the klik "store" to be accessed for pkgs.

The initial entry is :.....    wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh .....

The fstab can subsequently be modified to meet the users needs if root control is desired.  It normally is user controlled.

The reference to bloat is not my view but the view of a poster when I previously requested the cramfs module be loaded =y in the kernel.  This in aur forum.  I interpreted the reply to include =m as well since it is an obvious possibility.  I still ask that it be made useable.  I was informed to install it myself which I did but had to learn a new way to "build" the kernel with ABS.

I have subsequently ran into a failure to upgrade to 2.6.12.2 kernel and have lost the cramfs=y because I had to re-install.  Now, returning to ABS, I am confused about how to load a single line change in the kernel due to the very complex layout of the pkgbuild.

I in no way hold the position that "bloat" is a problem.."utility rules".  I was given that impression by a response to my aur request.

I hope this note clears things for all concerned.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                big_smile  big_smile

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#9 2005-09-29 21:05:50

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have successfully modified the 2.6.10-3 kernel to add cramfs capability.

It wasn't a pleasant exercise due to my lack of latest changes to ABS.

However, I will describe how I performed the change.

I copied my kconfig in /boot to desktop and changed the cramfs entry to enable it....CONFIG_CRAMFS=y....

This could be done later on after downloading ABS but a bird in the hand is better than an error in download.

Then I performed ....abs as /root.

This called for install of ...cvsup pkg.

I executed  pacman -Sy cvsup and the pkg loaded.  I performed abs and the kernels were downloaded along with scripts and config..not kconfig and PKGBUILD. 

After complete confusion in wiki  Compilation of custom kernel with abs...
I downloaded PKGBUILD as referenced in the wiki.  I subsequently discovered I din't need to do this.  It was downloaded as ....PKGBUILD.custom_kernel...  I discovered later from forum that this has to be named ..PKGBUILD.  I placed this item in /var/abs/local and also moved the modified kconfig to the same directory.  I later renamed kconfig to config as required by the new ABS.

In addition, the config I copied has to have a change to LOCAL VERSION="-ARCH"... It now must read...LOCAL VERSION="-custom" since this is a custom compilation. 

The kernel version in my machine is 2.6.10-3....I entered ...4...in pkgrel in the PKGBUILD file.  I also entered 2.6.10 as pkgver.  Uncommented.... make xconfig....but forgot to comment out makegconfig (I'm slightly imperfect).

These elements of ABS are in the same directory but, as I found later, items necessary to PKGBUILD were missing.  These are in the downloaded ABS pkgs in /root.  These elements are...kernel26.install and filelist.

I copied these two files into the /var/abs/local directory.  I realize I could have done without this with ABS download, now that I goofed it so bad.  But you can benefit from my bad approach.  I shunned it at first because the kernel I desired was not in the ABS download and I was confused ( even more so after reading the wiki).

The next action was to perform in /var/abs/local.....makepkg PKGBUILD.

Since I had the config all set-up, I deleted gconf during the PKGBUILD.

Then answered yes to "clean".

The result was the download of kernel2610-custom-2.6.10-4.pkg.tar.gz with boot folder and src folder.

I opened the boot folder to determine the ID for vmlinuz...vmlinuz2610-custom.

I modified lilo.conf to create the boot params for ...custom-2610.

I then ran....pacman -U kernel2610-custom-2.6.10-4.pkg.tar.gz.

After it completed I ran /sbin/lilo -v and it returned a good lilo report.

I then shutdown -r now.

Restarted, selected 2610-custom at boot prompt and am now in the Custom kernel arena.

I immediately checked the config file for cramfs and it was enabled.

I entered in the run window.... wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh and the klik interface was initiated.  I already had OPERA klik file installed and I selected that and it performed correctly.

This procedure should work with any kernel in arch26 kernel group after 2.6.8.

I had much difficulty in understanding the ABS system but find it can be used to change a kernel entry and have it tracked by pacman during upgrades.  The kconfig(now just config) must have LOCAL VERSION="-custom"..entered to accomplish the pacman upgrade capability
for the custom kernel created.

I hope this will help others in establishing cramfs as an additional filesystem in their arch kernels.

Best of luck!!!

#10 2005-09-30 03:05:19

IceRAM
Website

Err.. wouldn't it have been easier to:
1. get the kernel PKGBUILD & files with abs
2. copy the entire kernel dir somewhere, anywhere, can be /var/abs/local, if you like
3. in the new kernel dir modify manually config, put Y for CRAMFS
4. do "makepkg" in that dir (which would compile the stock kernel + CRAMFS enabled)

This solution does indeed not use the latest kernel, but exactly the same kernel version as the one used by ArchLinux. This does replace the stock kernel - you should have a working alternative kernel installed to boot if it breaks (archck for example).

#11 2005-09-30 04:26:40

lilsirecho
Veteran

iceram;

Ah yes, hindsight is better than foresight. 

I referred to the slightly imperfect way in which I did this thingy.

I stated that a bird in the hand is better than a bad download.

Anyway, I admit it is easier to do the arch way if it is apparent to you , however after examining the how to (which claims is not a how to)...it was confusing to me in the extreme.  I think I stated it could be done with the ABS download..I described my adventure accurately and factually.  The fact that kernel2.6.10 was not in the ABS download confused me because ABS ....used to...include many kernels.

Alls well that ends well and cramfs is working fine.

Should I try a custom install of 2.6.12.2kernel in the same manner, do I have to include the patches that accompany the PKGBUILD?

I am not expert at doing new thingies nor is anyone else!!

Thanks for your observation.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can a judge adjudicate theories..ideas..not laws!

#12 2005-09-30 16:42:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

I performed a test this morning of the speed accessing the google news.

From the taskbar, selecting google news icon took 12 seconds to display the initial news page with little to be seen without scrolling.

Selecting the klik OPERA folder on the desktop brought google news up in two+ seconds and it was full screen and newspaper page style.

I understand that klik will be enhanced in kernel2.5.14 by the FUSE pkg.

I have no further details but the klik forum has reference to the innovation.

As I remarked previously klik files improve the speed of access by providing all details necessary in the desktop file.

#13 2005-10-02 10:37:13

IceRAM
Website

Joy for the enable-CRAM-users - tpowa made the day (thanks tpowa):
kernel PKGBUILD update
Closed FlySpray task

#14 2005-10-02 19:36:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

iceram;

Happy to see cramfs even as a module.  I fought my way through to get it as an installed config item and did so several times.  I recently spent months on upgrade and re-install of cramfs only to find that the user cannot upgrade into the latest kernels from the original archCD0.7 install.

The latest release of arch0.7-1 solves the difficulty with Udev per Judd in flyspray.

However, because my install remains arch 0.7, I must re-install in order for -Syu to permit upgrades into Udev kernels.  Thus it requires an install with arch 0.7-1 to permit upgrades to Udev kernels (all in the future).

I include my fstab which permits root entry and select of klik files on the desktop:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
tmpfs                  /tmp          tmpfs     defaults            0      0
usbfs                  /proc/bus/usb usbfs  defaults            0      0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cd   iso9660   ro,users,noauto,unhide 0    0       
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/dvd  udf       ro,users,noauto,unhide  0   0     
/dev/floppy/0          /mnt/fl   vfat      user,noauto             0      0

/dev/discs/disc0/part3 / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/discs/disc0/part2 swap swap defaults 0 0

/tmp/app/1/image /tmp/app/1 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/tmp/app/2/image /tmp/app/2 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/tmp/app/3/image /tmp/app/3 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/tmp/app/4/image /tmp/app/4 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/tmp/app/5/image /tmp/app/5 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/tmp/app/6/image /tmp/app/6 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/tmp/app/7/image /tmp/app/7 cramfs,iso9660 users,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is devfs format while in kernel26132-custom boot-up.

I include this as a possible user suggestion in the cramfs arena, with users entered.

Board footer