You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-14 02:25:01

felixculpa

(Solved) MPD + Ncmpcpp + Opus?

Is it possible to play files encoded into opus with ncmpcpp? It doesn't seem to want to read opus files, but VLC plays them fine. I would think ncmpcpp would work based on this info from the relevent wikipedia pages.

Music Player Daemon: Plays Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, MP2, MP3, MP4/AAC, MOD, Musepack, wave files and any other files supported by FFmpeg.

Codecs, formats and protocols supported (by FFmpeg): Theora, Speex (via libspeex), Vorbis, Opus (via libopus) and FLAC

I couldn't find the package libopus anywhere, either or in opus-tools or in the AUR?

Last edited by felixculpa (2012-11-14 06:30:07)

#2 2012-11-14 02:29:16

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: (Solved) MPD + Ncmpcpp + Opus?

No idea what opus is but perhaps this is not compiled into the Arch package by default?  Try building via ABS and looking for this option in the ./configure step.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-11-14 02:37:13

Rasi
Website

just install opus from [community] and, as mentioned before, use ABS to recompile the package. (--enable-opus)

Or use the mpd-git package from aur.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#4 2012-11-14 02:40:32

felixculpa

@Graysky

Opus is a new (bleeding edge) open source audio codec.

Opus has been shown to have excellent quality, and at higher bit rates, it turns out to be competitive with codecs with much higher delay, such as HE-AAC and Vorbis.

In listening tests the codec shows superior quality compared to HE-AAC codecs, which have so far been dominant in that area because of their use of the proprietary spectral band replication (SBR) technology.

I prefer open source stuff over proprietory when possible, so I have .ogg vorbis files but .opus encoded files are (apparently) superior :-)

Or use the mpd-git package from aur.

That seems like a simple solution, I think I may just do that.

Last edited by felixculpa (2012-11-14 02:43:02)

#5 2012-11-14 03:13:05

Rasi
Website

just so i have mentioned it:
opus support is far from perfect. gapless playback is not working. tags dont work either.
But at least it handles the samplerate crap of opus correctly smile

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#6 2012-11-14 06:29:30

felixculpa

Rasi wrote:

just so i have mentioned it:
opus support is far from perfect. gapless playback is not working. tags dont work either.
But at least it handles the samplerate crap of opus correctly smile

Aw, really? I think I may wait until they implement those features... I was mostly curious as to why .opus files wouldn't play since all indications pointed towards that it should.

Thanks for the replies.

Board footer