You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-20 02:11:43

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Intermittent USB

This is a strange problem, and I'm afraid it might be hardware. Its really driving me nuts because I don't have time for fixing things and can't afford them to be broken right now.

I'm having trouble with USB devices on reboot. Every time I reboot, my mouse freezes up. Nothing seems to help except moving the mouse cable to a different USB slot and rebooting. If I don't move the mouse cable and reboot, the problem stays. I'm also no longer able to sync my palm, but that may or may not be a related problem.

The weird thing is, the devices show up in /proc/bus/usb/devices, but they don't work. I have the allowMouseOpenFail property in X set to false and it doesn't crash. It seems like the devices are being detected all right, but no data is sent over them or something.

I also booted into Archie and my mouse still didn't work.

Is this somehow a software/modules/device/kernel problem or do I have to muck with board? Something in my bios? anything!?

thanks,

Dusty

#2 2005-09-20 21:09:19

Kern

Re: Intermittent USB

maybe try a knoppix live CD just to get away from any possibility of it being an Arch related/modules  issue ?
would isolate h/ware from s/ware at least.
Edit: you have a USB-PS2 converter to try out? cheap alternative if its the PC's USB thats b0rked.

#3 2005-09-21 15:33:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'll try knoppix next time I have problems. Right now, both my mouse and my palm are working properly over USB. So basically, I'm afraid to reboot my computer for fear of wrecking the equilibrium!

I don't have a USB-PS/2 converter handy, but its a good idea.

Dusty

#4 2005-09-21 18:41:49

Kern

nice to know you're sorted smile

well.... at least 'til the next power off :shock:

#5 2005-09-21 19:07:06

Vince

Based on that account, I'm going to assume that the module isn't being loaded at boot.

In a console, type lsmod and try to isolate the module that is for your USB and for the mouse.
reboot and (before making the mouse work) type lsmod in a terminal and see if the modules are still there.

#6 2005-09-21 19:15:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Dusty: PEBKAC!

#7 2005-09-22 02:10:36

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

why do you say that phrakture? I think the problem is in the hardware, seriously. If you're seeing a problem that is too obvious for me, blame the assignments.

Dusty

#8 2005-09-22 17:43:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Dusty wrote:

why do you say that phrakture? I think the problem is in the hardware, seriously. If you're seeing a problem that is too obvious for me, blame the assignments.

I was just messing around - I wanted to help but couldn't think of anything...

#9 2005-09-23 13:33:01

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Ok, the power very kindly went out last night and I have no mouse and no palm again this morning. Actually, the palm is creating the devices /dev/tts/USB0 and /dev/tts/USB1 (I guess it would be more accurate to say the kernel is creating them) when it turns on, but I am unable to sync it. Once again, devices are being created, but no data is being sent.

I guess I'll open the case and put some pressure on the usb/motheboard connectors. I had a similar problem with my network, now that I think of it, and that solved it. Actually, come to think of it, the main back USB ports are right beside the ethernet jack... all of its on-board, of course.

I don't have a knoppix CD at the moment (I guess I gave the last away!!), but I guess I could set one to download while I'm TAing.

I'll keep you updated. The weird thing is that if I shut down and plug the devices into different ports it will probably work.

Dusty

#10 2005-09-23 16:55:27

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I remember you having these weird MB problems before.

You may want to pull out your MB and inspect it for cracks and check that its seated far enough away from the actual case housing so nothing is shorting out. It sounds like its either that or like you said something is not connected all the way...or its just shot altogether.

#11 2005-09-23 17:53:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Penguin wrote:

I remember you having these weird MB problems before.

You may want to pull out your MB and inspect it for cracks and check that its seated far enough away from the actual case housing so nothing is shorting out. It sounds like its either that or like you said something is not connected all the way...or its just shot altogether.

Oh, good call - check the seating on the thing, and make sure nothing's shorting.... that sounds like it may work.

#12 2005-09-23 22:58:43

Kern

Echo Penguin :
after weeks of problems, a friend found a foil (of all things to make it out of) sticker curled over on the bottom of his mobo. :shock:

the main back USB ports are right beside the ethernet jack.

Nothing seems to help except moving the mouse cable to a different USB slot

if its repeatable then use the working slot.

i have similar with a USB drive. the rear usb slots accept it ok the front ones dont, Windows or Linux. No device found etc.
now you would tend to say ! its a hardware prob then, the socket is broke....

apart from a usb pen works at the front ok, as does a USB mouse.

im putting it down to witchcraft, never liked USB in the first place !  :evil:
USB -> Unstable/Shafted/Broke

#13 2005-09-23 23:03:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

its not sticking with a working USB slot... more like I have to move it from one slot to another to get it working. However I've rebooted thrice now with it working ok... for no reason.... also when I tried knoppix it didn't work (that was when it wasn't working).

So yeah, probably hardware. But I don't want to take everything apart right now. sad

Dusty

Board footer