You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-16 09:17:03

photon

order question on language,internet connection and Mount the partition

When installing Arch from Virtual Box, do I need to follow the order of wiki's instruction: firstly "Change the language", secondly "Establish an internet connection" and thirdly "Mount the partitions"? Can I mount the partitions first?

By the way, I can already ping through google or archlinux. And I can accept English by now, though I may need to change the language later after installing Arch successfully.

My previous questions:
pacman base base-dev returns ERROR: /mnt is not a mountpoint!
When install arch, how to avoid sleep or hibertate state
order question on language,internet connection and Mount the partition

wiki:
Beginners' Guide
Installation_guide

Last edited by photon (2012-11-21 10:45:13)

#2 2012-11-16 09:27:17

hunterthomson
Website

Re: order question on language,internet connection and Mount the partition

I would sugjest following the instructions.

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#3 2012-11-16 09:36:04

photon

Any reason?

#4 2012-11-16 09:51:49

Awebb

Asking about the order of events shows your lack of comprehension what those single steps do. You should either learn more about the single commands or follow the order in the guide. Answering your question in this context would not be really beneficial.

#5 2012-11-16 11:29:42

hunterthomson
Website

I have been using Arch for more then 4 years and I still follow the wiki's word for word. I learn a few new things every time. The Arch wiki's are a vary big part of what makes Arch such a pleasure to use.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-16 11:30:09)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#6 2012-11-16 17:03:00

sebleblanc

Actually, it should not matter much, just make sure you do these steps in a logical order (for example, try to set a UTF-8 locale first if you are going to mount partitions with Unicode filenames...) Obviously, do not set-up your Internet connection if you do not currently have access to the net, etc.

You don't have to follow blindly instructions that people bothered to write in a Wiki. You are completely free to experiment with Arch. I think the reason why the Wiki is written this way is only a matter of convenience: the article could have been written as a dependency graph tree, but this would not have been as easy to read.

Edit:
"Doing what you're told" is not the Arch Way. And forcing people to believe that it is is definitely not the Arch Way. Many, if not most of the articles on the Wiki were written by people experimenting with packages, reading manuals from upstream, and trying to make things work. Some pages are not as well written as others, and you are encouraged to come up with better instructions and to update these pages. Point 5 of the Arch Way specifically addresses the matter of this thread:

The Arch Way wrote:

Another guiding principle of Arch Linux development is freedom. Users are not only permitted to make all decisions concerning system configuration, but also choose what their system will be.

Last edited by sebleblanc (2012-11-16 17:22:07)

#7 2012-11-17 00:41:14

mhertz

Of course theres freedom to do whatever, but as Awebb stated, then it makes sence to follow other peoples instructions *unless* you actually know what you're doing...

#8 2012-11-17 03:49:50

photon

The interesting part is here. I want to follow instructions, but I have my doubt on certain part of the instructions, and even people or manual may have different instructions. For example, I've already had the internet connection as I said previously so I have two choices:
I can set up the network before further steps, if I follow Awebb's suggestion.
I can skip the network part and set up the network again later when I have time or need, if I follow sebleblanc's suggestion and the Arch Way(which now have 2 different versions, and may have more versions later).

So I'd like to skip the internet connection part right now and try it later, thank you all.

Last edited by photon (2012-11-17 04:44:15)

Board footer