You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 22:23:47

demizer
Website

netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

It is now possible to view Netflix within your Arch Linux desktop with the netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight packages.

These packages have been adapted for Arch Linux from the Ubuntu packages provided by Erich Hoover (http://compholio.com), the main developer of Silverlight support within wine.

There are also now pre-compiled packages available on my signed repository here: http://demizerone.com/archnetflix/

Please test and report any problems to this thread, or the AUR page.

Thanks!

Last edited by demizer (2012-12-21 04:24:21)

#2 2012-11-19 00:34:09

LinuxFrenzy

Re: netflix-desktop and wine-silverlight are now in AUR

I just installed it couple moments ago but so far it's working pretty well.Thanks.

Last edited by LinuxFrenzy (2012-11-19 00:34:42)

#3 2012-11-19 01:13:10

demizer
Website

A quick note, the wine program is installed to ~/.netflix-desktop. If you have any syncing programs like unison, don't let it sync between computers otherwise you will get a DRM error in Silverlight. If you do accidentally sync it to another computer, just delete ~/.netflix-desktop and it will re-install the wine programs.

#4 2012-11-19 02:25:24

goldfish777

I'm getting an error:

"The plugin-container.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close"

This happens whenever I try and start a show on netflix. The message pops up and the whole app freezes for a bit and then silverlight crashes.
I installed from  the AUR, is there anything else I need to install on top of it maybe?

#5 2012-11-19 02:51:16

badvok

goldfish777 wrote:

I'm getting an error:

"The plugin-container.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close"

This happens whenever I try and start a show on netflix. The message pops up and the whole app freezes for a bit and then silverlight crashes.
I installed from  the AUR, is there anything else I need to install on top of it maybe?

I fixed this by installing lib32-intel-dri, as I'm running this on a laptop with an Intel chipset. Once I did that everything worked fine.

#6 2012-11-19 04:38:41

hunterthomson
Website

I installed this and it is working VARY well on even my hardened grsecurity kernel !

I only had to disable MPROTECT on /opt/wine-compholio/bin/wine-preloader
I also had some strang problem... but after I booted into the -ARCH kernel, `rm /home/$USER/.netflix-desktop`, reinstalled both packages and reset the paxflags on wine-preloader it works fine in both kernel.

When starting netflix-desktop from a console... there are loads of errors, BUT it works fine, so I could not care less.

Owe, and it seems both of the packages are now removed from the AUR? Why is that?

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-21 05:37:18)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#7 2012-11-19 05:16:39

goldfish777

badvok wrote:
I fixed this by installing lib32-intel-dri, as I'm running this on a laptop with an Intel chipset. Once I did that everything worked fin

Ok, cool thanks, I am currently unable to try it due to other issues. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by goldfish777 (2012-11-19 05:18:25)

#8 2012-11-19 06:28:31

demizer
Website

The packages were deleted by gtmanfred because the version of WINE was compiled against Ubuntu libraries, and not Arch libraries. Also, it should have been in one package from what I am told.

If that is the case for deletion, then I don't see how netflix-desktop could be a valid package, because netflix-desktop is very Ubuntu specific. So wine-compholio being built against arch libraries makes no difference. It was working great on both of the computers I tested it on.

I will assemble a new package and it should be ready by tomorrow.

Last edited by demizer (2012-11-19 06:33:27)

#9 2012-11-19 06:46:35

hunterthomson
Website

Hum, strange that they would 'delete' the working package?

Well, thank you VARY much for working on this package! Wow, it is sooo nice to have this working. I really didn't like having to boot up a VM of Windows just to watch Netflix.

#10 2012-11-19 06:52:26

demizer
Website

Don't worry, I am working on a fresh version now with guidance from gtmanfred so I don't screw it up! It'll be ready tomorrow.

#11 2012-11-19 07:39:42

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

I cannot describe how happy I am to hear this news (especially that it is being packaged for Arch). To this point, there have been two limiting factors keeping me from fully migrating away from Windows. The first is gaming; the second is Netflix. As gtmanfred is currently working on packaging Steam for Linux for Arch (it's running great, just waiting for it to get pushed to the official repos after Valve have signed off), and with this package coming to light, I may yet be able to migrate completely away in a year or so.

Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for your work on the package — please, let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in this endeavor.

All the best,

-HG

#12 2012-11-19 09:32:53

hunterthomson
Website

For sure, these are vary exciting times smile First Steam now Netflix, Unity 3d Game Engine with full suport for Linux, and Lightworks for Linux in Alpha.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-19 09:34:25)

#13 2012-11-19 09:59:17

akspecs

This is definitely phenomenal news.  I'll checking back with heads up on the new PKG!!

#14 2012-11-19 18:45:47

matth

I'm not sure if this is the post you were following, but this blog post give instructions for compiling and installing it.

Would be a good reference for the PKGBUILD

http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/net … -here.html

#15 2012-11-19 20:18:53

demizer
Website

UPDATE: The new packages are nearly complete, I am currently trying to get Silverlight working in WINE. Apparently there was a regression right before the Silverlight patches were released by the author, Erich Hoover, that broke Silverlight.

I was just about to upload the package sources to AUR, when I decided to double check to make sure the patches apply cleanly. That is when I discovered 40 new commits were pushed to the upstream wine repo and my patch didn't apply. These new commits appear to fix the regression, so this forced me to redo the patch and restart the long build.

There are still going to be two packages, wine-silverlight-git and netflix-desktop. wine-silverlight-git is wine-git with the Silverlight patches applied. netflix-desktop is a script that downloads and installs Firefox and Silverlight within WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.netflix-desktop on first activation. After that it allows easy access to Netflix with a custom Firefox profile, provided by upstream.

The netflix-desktop script has been modified from upstream for Arch, making these changes and fixing bugs are what has taken most of my time.

Both packages should be uploaded by 5pm PST today, possibly sooner. I will also create an un-official signed repository hosted on my website (http://demizerone.com) for those that don't want to spend 45 minutes (or more) building wine.

Last edited by demizer (2012-11-19 20:23:01)

#16 2012-11-19 21:14:14

akspecs

demizer wrote:

I will also create an un-official signed repository hosted on my website (http://demizerone.com) for those that don't want to spend 45 minutes (or more) building wine.

This would be very good.

#17 2012-11-19 21:22:05

hunterthomson
Website

demizer wrote:

Both packages should be uploaded by 5pm PST today, possibly sooner. I will also create an un-official signed repository hosted on my website (http://demizerone.com) for those that don't want to spend 45 minutes (or more) building wine.

Fantastic, I will be useing your signed packages on my x86_64 system. My laptop would over heat on a 45 minute build.

It sounds like you are really working hard, but this package is a real game changer. Thank you soo much smile

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-19 21:22:49)

#18 2012-11-19 21:36:46

hunterthomson
Website

Hum, given the tendency of wine to have regressions, maybe uploading a frozen version of Wine to build wine-silverlight aginst could be a good idea?... or I don't really know git... I bet there is a way to pull down the version of wine at a point in time, like that is what source control systems do ya?

#19 2012-11-19 21:56:44

demizer
Website

hunterthomson wrote:

Hum, given the tendency of wine to have regressions, maybe uploading a frozen version of Wine to build wine-silverlight aginst could be a good idea?... or I don't really know git... I bet there is a way to pull down the version of wine at a point in time, like that is what source control systems do ya?

Indeed. Hopefully the Silverlight patches would get merged into the wine master branch in short order, but I am not sure how long it will take. The last changes were 8 days ago before today, I believe. The best I could do is make sure the patch applies and also provide a repository for pre-built packages.

I haven't played with git and PKGBUILDs too deeply yet, but when makepkg clones a git repo, it pulls all the changes from the remote origin before attempting anything else, so it will always have the latest changes from the remote git repo.

#20 2012-11-19 21:58:37

akspecs

A reliable version of wine is a must...  I would definitely recommend download the source for one you know that will work with this setup.

Also, after thinking about it - it seems like a winetricks script would be ideal for something like this.  Imagine just having to type in "$ winetricks netflix" and having it do all the required heavy lifting with downloading the required wine version with patches and silver light version, firefox, etc...

But the repository is also very good because of the whole compiling thing.

With all of this said, I do hope you'll host i686 packages on your repo.

#21 2012-11-19 22:04:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

demizer wrote:

I haven't played with git and PKGBUILDs too deeply yet, but when makepkg clones a git repo, it pulls all the changes from the remote origin before attempting anything else, so it will always have the latest changes from the remote git repo.

If needed this can certainly be done in a PKGBUILD using `git log ...` and `git checkout ...`

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#22 2012-11-19 23:20:09

demizer
Website

akspecs wrote:

A reliable version of wine is a must...  I would definitely recommend download the source for one you know that will work with this setup.

I agree. I will lock it down to the commit in the git repo that works and update incrementally after testing.

akspecs wrote:

Also, after thinking about it - it seems like a winetricks script would be ideal for something like this.  Imagine just having to type in "$ winetricks netflix" and having it do all the required heavy lifting with downloading the required wine version with patches and silver light version, firefox, etc...

Indeed. Silverlight will probably be in winetricks someday. That seems the more appropriate route.

akspecs wrote:

But the repository is also very good because of the whole compiling thing.

With all of this said, I do hope you'll host i686 packages on your repo.

My repo will have both architectures, but for the next couple days it will have only x86_64 while I get everything stabilized. Although when built with x86_64, WINEARCH must be win32 for Silverlight to work. This shouldn't be problem because it is set as default in the netflix-desktop script.

Trilby wrote:

If needed this can certainly be done in a PKGBUILD using `git log ...` and `git checkout ...`

I will look further into it later. But I am definitely going to base it off of a commit so I am not chasing patch rejections.

#23 2012-11-20 06:05:51

gridaphobe

This is really exciting but unfortunately I'm unable to get it working (using your pre-built package). After installing the package, as well as lib32-intel-dri, mono, and wine_gecko to satisfy wine, I can login to netlfix but cannot play anything. When I try to play a movie I get Error Code N8156-6022, which is described as a network connectivity issue. I followed netflix's troubleshooting steps, which basically amounted to deleting a file called mspr.hds, but it didn't help.

Here's the console session (https://gist.github.com/4116289). I was unable to glean anything from it, but maybe you'll have better luck smile

Edit: I forgot I also got a prompt the first time I tried to play a video, asking if I wanted to enable protected media playback. I chose "yes" as Netflix uses Silverlight for DRM.

Last edited by gridaphobe (2012-11-20 06:08:37)

#24 2012-11-20 07:23:35

akspecs

I built the package but noticed that it places standard vanilla wine as a conflict.  I wouldn't find this so ideal because many of us use wine for other things and don't want any potential interference.  What the Ubuntu guy did was create the wine-compholio package which was installed to /opt rather than /usr./...... as most other packages are.

edit: speaking of which, I am getting an error code N8156-6022 when trying the play a video on netflix on my i686 system.  (it states this in the window with netflix in the bottom right as a connection issue though IDK what's the issue).

Last edited by akspecs (2012-11-20 10:10:57)

#25 2012-11-20 10:11:23

hunterthomson
Website

Yes, this Error Code N8156-6022 is with me too.... owe, I am 'echoblack' on the AUR.

EDIT: no longer valid stuff..

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-21 05:36:40)

Board footer