You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-20 18:25:24

pelasgos
Member
Registered: 2012-04-02
Posts: 27

Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

Hi it's my first try to compile a kernel xD
I got this error:

ld final link failed no space left on device
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
==> ERROR: Failed to build().
   ...
The build failed.


Help big_smile

Last edited by pelasgos (2012-11-21 22:07:42)

Offline

#2 2012-11-20 18:34:01

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,159

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

no space left on device

Search this on google, and/or use your common sense to work out what you need to do.


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Online

#3 2012-11-20 20:34:41

pelasgos
Member
Registered: 2012-04-02
Posts: 27

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

WorMzy wrote:

no space left on device

Search this on google, and/or use your common sense to work out what you need to do.

I found this..
http://forums-web2.gentoo.org/viewtopic … art-0.html

Last edited by pelasgos (2012-11-20 20:35:33)

Offline

#4 2012-11-20 22:55:26

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,159

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

The OP of that topic is following Gentoo's installation guide, so you can consider the specific advice irrelevant. However, a prevalent theme is that you and that OP are trying to compile a kernel on a device that doesn't have enough space, so the solution would be to..?


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Online

#5 2012-11-21 19:25:39

pelasgos
Member
Registered: 2012-04-02
Posts: 27

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

WorMzy wrote:

The OP of that topic is following Gentoo's installation guide, so you can consider the specific advice irrelevant. However, a prevalent theme is that you and that OP are trying to compile a kernel on a device that doesn't have enough space, so the solution would be to..?

xD   I forgot i don't have space! I have 5gb in / and all are used... Is there way to unite /home with / ??? (bad english)

Last edited by pelasgos (2012-11-21 19:29:10)

Offline

#6 2012-11-21 19:44:59

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,159

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

Not as such. You could do some hokus pokus with your partitions, depending on what layout you have them in, but we'd need a lot more information from you before we could advise you on that.

  1. What layout have you got your partitions in? (e.g. sda1 = 5GB root, sda2 = 20GB /home, etc...?)

  2. If your / and /home partitions are adjacent, how much space are you using in /home?

    1. Do you have important information on /home that you really need to keep?

    2. Do you have anywhere you can back these files up to while you're messing with your partitions?

  3. Do you have a LiveCD (or USB) to hand which you can use to make changes to your partitions?


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Online

#7 2012-11-21 20:13:06

pelasgos
Member
Registered: 2012-04-02
Posts: 27

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

WorMzy wrote:

Not as such. You could do some hokus pokus with your partitions, depending on what layout you have them in, but we'd need a lot more information from you before we could advise you on that.

  1. What layout have you got your partitions in? (e.g. sda1 = 5GB root, sda2 = 20GB /home, etc...?)

  2. If your / and /home partitions are adjacent, how much space are you using in /home?

    1. Do you have important information on /home that you really need to keep?

    2. Do you have anywhere you can back these files up to while you're messing with your partitions?

  3. Do you have a LiveCD (or USB) to hand which you can use to make changes to your partitions?

/home is 280GB. / is 5gb /swap 8 GB and /boot 1GB  I have Gparted live. And i don't want to keep anything so i don't need backup. big_smile

Offline

#8 2012-11-21 21:34:56

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,159

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

280GB would be more than enough space to compile a kernel in, if you want to keep your current layout. I'm not really sure why you're compiling it on / in the first place.

5GB does seem a bit small for a / partition though. Unless you're going to be using a very lightweight/minimal system, and are gonna clean out your pacman cache on a regular basis, you'll probably run into problems somewhere down the line.

I'd shrink /home down to 265GB, and grow / to 20GB. I'd still recommend against compiling things in / though. Use your /home area for that, if you need to.


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Online

#9 2012-11-21 22:07:31

pelasgos
Member
Registered: 2012-04-02
Posts: 27

Re: Linux-pf kernel I FAILED! :) [solved]

WorMzy wrote:

280GB would be more than enough space to compile a kernel in, if you want to keep your current layout. I'm not really sure why you're compiling it on / in the first place.

5GB does seem a bit small for a / partition though. Unless you're going to be using a very lightweight/minimal system, and are gonna clean out your pacman cache on a regular basis, you'll probably run into problems somewhere down the line.

I'd shrink /home down to 265GB, and grow / to 20GB. I'd still recommend against compiling things in / though. Use your /home area for that, if you need to.

Ok thank you ! big_smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB