You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-23 22:38:58

darkreaper476

tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed, after new install

Using archlinux-2012.11.01-dual.iso installation CD and the beginers guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Unmount_the_partitions_and_reboot) since setup-arch or /arch/setup doesn't exist anymore...

After a fresh install following the guide, the first reboot followed up with

[0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
/dev/sdb1:clean, 31589/2305632 files, 379556/9215277 blocks
Welcome to emergency mode! Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter defualt mode.
Type "journalctl -b" to view system logs. Type "systemctl reboot" to reboot.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

I miss the installer.. Any help would be great to get into good ol arch, thanks

btw putting in my password puts in a root terminal that cant even install a package.

#2 2012-11-24 06:25:33

darkreaper476

Re: tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed, after new install

Thought I'd add that when ever I try to change a file via nano, or install a package via pacman I get a "read only file system" error.....

any help would be great.. Doing this all over again without knowing how I messed up and repeating my mistake would suck...

Thanks.

#3 2012-11-24 06:46:18

proudzhu

darkreaper476 wrote:

Using archlinux-2012.11.01-dual.iso installation CD and the beginers guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Unmount_the_partitions_and_reboot) since setup-arch or /arch/setup doesn't exist anymore...

After a fresh install following the guide, the first reboot followed up with

[0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
/dev/sdb1:clean, 31589/2305632 files, 379556/9215277 blocks
Welcome to emergency mode! Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter defualt mode.
Type "journalctl -b" to view system logs. Type "systemctl reboot" to reboot.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

I miss the installer.. Any help would be great to get into good ol arch, thanks

btw putting in my password puts in a root terminal that cant even install a package.

I don't think TSC is the problem as I occasionally see this warning.
You can see this topic , https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150096&p=1.
Maybe you should remove 'quiet' from your grub, and get what the real problem is or you can try "jourbalctl -b".

#4 2012-11-24 08:34:45

darkreaper476

So I just reinstalled... Again, this time following the regular Installation Guide while referring to the beginners guide. Its a shame that Arch is becoming such a PITA to install and keep running...... The constant changes to the system are ridiculous...

I got the system installed, then had no network at all..... UGGG so the manual way of installing aka "base" etc doesnt have any network packages... that would have been nice to know. So after a dozen more reboots and chmod-ing from a live cd I got the right packages to install to have a network, though the system wont turn off... it gets stuck at /dev/sdb1: clean .................... scared to force it off in case I get the previous error again..

I don't mean to bash on Arch... this is my absolute favorite distro, its just easy to see why people choose other distros, we dont even have an installer anymore and what happen to rc.conf... how the hell do I start my daemons now?????? ugghh more google.. With passive arch user style answers that just link you to another post you've already burned into your retina...

thanks/sorry:rant= off

#5 2012-11-24 09:10:26

skunktrader

darkreaper476 wrote:

and what happen to rc.conf... how the hell do I start my daemons now??????

It's all documented in detail in the all knowing, super, awesome wiki

Board footer