You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-24 18:06:58

Lenry
Website

[SOLVED]How to disable Pulseaudio?

It always loads automatically, but it only cause problems. The sound quality is awful, Skype is useless with it. If I kill the pulseaudio process, everything is back to normal, works normals, Skype is working flawlessly.

I tried to disable it by uncommenting autospawn = no in /etc/pulse/client.conf and do the same in ~/.pulse/client.conf
it's not in rc.conf, so I'm out of idea...

Last edited by Lenry (2012-11-24 18:39:49)

#2 2012-11-24 18:20:10

bgc1954

Re: [SOLVED]How to disable Pulseaudio?

Do you really need pulseaudio?  Sometimes it is pulled in as a dependency of another package you've installed.  Check to see what is removed if you try uninstalling pulseaudio.  If you can't remove it, maybe try installing the pulseaudio-alsa package and check the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulseaudio

The wiki seems a little out of date but some of the solutions may be helpful.  I don't use pulseaudio either as it screws up my audio card.

If you still have an rc.conf, you should look at the systemd wiki and switch over.  That might also help... maybe.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-11-24 18:22:10)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2012-11-24 18:39:36

Lenry
Website

bgc1954 wrote:

Do you really need pulseaudio?  Sometimes it is pulled in as a dependency of another package you've installed.

You were right! It was only a dependency, only some gnome-settings-something used it, which I uninstalled either, as I use KDE.
Now everything is fine, and works flawless.

bgc1954 wrote:

If you still have an rc.conf, you should look at the systemd wiki and switch over.

I... don't really want to do that. I screwed up my own Arch install with this systemd, and /sbin -> /usr/sbin stuff, and now I'm really angry with these changes in Arch. This particular PC is my parents' machine, it's ancient and I'm glad it even works... and I don't want to screw with that smile

Thank you again for your help

Last edited by Lenry (2012-11-24 18:43:32)

#4 2012-11-26 23:28:50

wwgfd

Lenry wrote:

You were right! It was only a dependency, only some gnome-settings-something used it, which I uninstalled either, as I use KDE.

Hmm, interesting....but I wonder what someone (like me) who has a gnome based desktop such as Cinnamon should do?
Do I hack out the gnome-settings-daemon, trying not to cascade in to dependency hell, or is there another way to 'disable' pulseaudio or at least make it a second class citizen to ALSA?

What would Gordon Freeman do?

#5 2012-11-26 23:57:32

Mektub

wwgfd,

when I used gnome, I used gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gnom … n-nopulse/

Pulseaudio is a new kind of virus.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#6 2012-11-27 01:42:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

wwgfd wrote:
Lenry wrote:

Hmm, interesting....but I wonder what someone (like me) who has a gnome based desktop such as Cinnamon should do?
Do I hack out the gnome-settings-daemon, trying not to cascade in to dependency hell, or is there another way to 'disable' pulseaudio or at least make it a second class citizen to ALSA?

Pulseaudio uses ALSA. If you don't want it, just use ALSA alone. There's no point keeping it around if its not being used.

Please note however that gnome has a hard dependency on pulse, and the AUR package provide is a workaround for that. That means gnome software is written to work with pulse, and may not work with ALSA, either right now or in some future update. You may or may not like that, but that's the Gnome dev's decision. Feel free not to use gnome.

Mektub wrote:

Pulseaudio is a new kind of virus.

None of that please. The forums aren't the place for (baseless) ranting.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2012-11-27 13:30:45

wwgfd

@Mektub -- thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of this before -- must have missed it when searching with yaourt!
@ngoonee -- thanks for the advice.

Despite the AUR package suggestion I agree with ngoonee's point that Gnome is quite tied in with PulseAudio, so unless the gnome devs have a huge change of heart to suddenly move away from PA then it'll only cause problems down the line (with every update) if we start trying to hack our way around it.

The other possibility of course would be if the Cinnamon devs migrate far enough away from gnome's base to implement their own or integrate a different audio solution. However given the relative youth of Cinnamon and the amount of work this would likely involve I can't really see this happening, at least not for some time.

[Edit: Removed off-topic section as it related to another post / thread of my own -- sorry I got confused which thread I was reading/replying to!]

Last edited by wwgfd (2012-11-27 14:28:01)

#8 2012-11-27 14:28:39

Xeitgeist

wwgfd wrote:

So anyway after fiddling around with PoL's and wine's configs so much that I broke them I decided to just uninstall and start again. Although this time I'm weighing up the options of a VBox or even dedicated windows partition (dual-boot) solution.

Any thoughts or advice for this please?
-- i.e. Which is easiest, and which would offer the best performance for gaming?
-- the core i7 cpu's support hardware virtualisation so VBox should work at almost native speed, yes?

I wouldn't even think of using virtualbox for windows gaming. Just set up a dual-boot.

#9 2012-11-27 14:35:58

wwgfd

@Xeitgeist -- Hmm, you're probably right although I was really hoping to avoid this if possible -- i.e. I was hoping someone was going to say "Yes of course VirtualBox will work fine and at almost native speads!"

At present I've only got one hard-drive (although it is an SSD) so AFAIK setting up a dual-boot will require a full backup of my Arch OS then a re-format & re-install, installing Windows first because it's boot-loader doesn't like to be second place to any other OS. Although I don't know if this is still true with Windows 7 -- plus my mainboard has UEFI boot so I don't know if that makes a difference?

Thanks for the advice anyway.

[Edit -- added some helpful links (if somewhat off topic to the OP)]

[Phoronix] Ubuntu 11.10: Xen vs. KVM vs. VirtualBox -- Published on October 31, 2011
[Phoronix] QEMU 1.3 Is Packing Interesting Features -- Posted by Michael Larabel on November 20, 2012

Last edited by wwgfd (2012-11-27 16:21:34)

Board footer