You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-25 09:54:15

biltong

Gnome/cinnamon - Two annoying issues

Using cinnamon-git from AUR I have a few issues that I feel should be easy to fix but I can't figure out.

First, I can't edit my menu. The menu editor appears, but attempting to change anything results in my changes reverting back and then something strange happens with the menu editor itself, where whatever section of the menu I edited would appear twice, the second one having no icon and indented text. Also, any item I try to add ends up going to "Other" instead of where I created it.

Second, my desktop does not work. No icons appear, and I can't right click on the desktop. No context menu shows up. I have a ~/Desktop folder with things in it, which worked fine in mate. Making a new user with a clean desktop also has this issue.

Since cinnamon uses gnome I figured gnome related information should apply. Not sure what other information I should post.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2012-11-25 10:51:08

smakked

Re: Gnome/cinnamon - Two annoying issues

For the no right click issue you need to install gnome tweak-tool and tick let filemanager handle desktop, thats in gnome. In cinnamon there is an option in preferences to allow the same.

As for the menu thing no idea sorry

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#3 2012-11-25 11:44:00

biltong

Re: Gnome/cinnamon - Two annoying issues

smakked wrote:

For the no right click issue you need to install gnome tweak-tool and tick let filemanager handle desktop, thats in gnome. In cinnamon there is an option in preferences to allow the same.

As for the menu thing no idea sorry

I couldn't find anything related in cinnamon settings but I swear I remember seeing it somewhere before. I installed tweak tool and ticked that option and now I have a desktop! Thank you!

Now if only we could figure out the menu problem. I think it's an upstream issue because there's a thread on the mint forums where someone is having a similar issue and someone said it's a regression, so I guess I have to wait for a new version.

Board footer