You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-30 10:23:17

taylorchu

something that you feel linux is missing

personally, in order of most important to least are:
1. power management: linux is a power monster. no matter how you config it.
2. drivers for new products: it is usually safer to buy a product for your linux box around half year old.
3. graphic driver chaos: some apps need opengl, but some apps require proprietary drivers. usually  proprietary nvidia has better powersaving result.
4. good app ui to attract new immigrants: this is what my sister complains the most. DEs are ok these days, but start to look old when you compare mac and windows.
some apps are still in ncurses, even though i feel they are useful.
5. games: actually it is not that important. but it is the only reason i still dual-boot windows.

"After you do enough distro research, you will choose Arch."

#2 2012-11-30 10:48:25

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

I have a feeling that this will very quickly become another Grrr thread...

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2012-11-30 10:59:44

andjeng

driver. wink

just looking around. wink

#4 2012-11-30 15:03:16

ataraxia

Leadership.

#5 2012-11-30 15:19:01

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Another terminal emulator.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2012-11-30 15:27:03

Ezprezo
Banned

Deleted.

Last edited by Ezprezo (2012-12-05 22:42:32)

#7 2012-11-30 15:55:03

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

WorMzy wrote:

Lol!

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#8 2012-11-30 16:08:11

satanselbow

graysky wrote:
WorMzy wrote:

Lol!

The media player options are a tad thin too... and if only there were more choices in the WM department - sometimes I just feel so cheated sad

Adobe software? Really? ... can I start swearing now?

3 out of the 5 "reasons" look like thinly veiled cries for help to me... have you seen the wiki?

#9 2012-11-30 18:52:21

blackout23

ataraxia wrote:

Leadership.

by Microsoft *ducks away*

Jokes aside I feel that linux is missing a good office suite. OO/LO is nice if you use it for your self and don't demand to much. But let's face it. 90% of all companies world wide probably use MS Office for their work and they require documents to look exactly the same when their partners open them as on their side. You can't just say "Sorry I'm using Open Office I can open your stuff but it looks horrible and the stuff I send you... god knows how it will look like..." Also if you use Excel like a professional you'll quickly see the shortcomings of Calc. If there was native MS Office for Linux I would buy it. Now people will say...but there are open standards! Microsoft should support them! Everyone should use them and it would be problem solved!...Yeah being able to eat all the Pizza you want and don't get fat would also be kind of nice... you know? Just not going to happen.

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-11-30 19:00:24)

#10 2012-11-30 18:57:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Calendar-contact-email integration. This is the single biggest hurdle for getting organizations to move to FOSS desktop productivity tools.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2012-11-30 19:37:50

Trent

jasonwryan wrote:

Calendar-contact-email integration. This is the single biggest hurdle for getting organizations to move to FOSS desktop productivity tools.

I'm working on it, okay??

#12 2012-11-30 20:20:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Trent wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

I'm working on it, okay??

XP goes out of support here in early 2014. There are a lot of public sector organizations working on their migration plans now; so if you could have it sorted in the next month or two, that would be good...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2012-11-30 20:34:38

FlyingHappy

Saw autoCAD above, but honestly find it horrible, so I'm just going to say a great CAD/CAM tool like solidworks/autocad/proe/mastercam.  That is all I find it to be missing other than the OO/LO stuff above, it would be nice for it to play better with MS Office when you send something to somebody.

#14 2012-11-30 20:56:32

drcouzelis
Website

I got it! I've been trying to put into words what I like so much about Haiku that makes me want to use that instead of Linux. One of the biggest things is:

Good default settings

The biggest culprit I think is KDE. I think KDE is an amazing collection of software, but the default configuration and appearance is just so incredibly unappealing. sad I think fontconfig could do better too. The xorg server and ALSA, and lots of other hardware detection, have made great progress at "just working" without the need to change any configuration files, so that's great.

#15 2012-11-30 21:45:09

Trent

FlyingHappy wrote:

Saw autoCAD above, but honestly find it horrible, so I'm just going to say a great CAD/CAM tool like solidworks/autocad/proe/mastercam.  That is all I find it to be missing other than the OO/LO stuff above, it would be nice for it to play better with MS Office when you send something to somebody.

Solidworks supports Linux, no? I've only used it on Windows myself but I was given to understand the Linux port was quite acceptable

#16 2012-11-30 21:54:01

FlyingHappy

I have never heard of it being supported on Linux and their site says nothing about it.  I guess I should have clarified a bit more though, I meant to put an extra stipulation in there.  Open source CAD/CAM tool.

#17 2012-11-30 22:15:57

omeringen

• CAD/CAM softwares.
    About 2D modelling, DraftSight is enough actually but about 3D modelling there is no good software works on GNU/Linux. Dassault Systemes develops both DraftSight and SolidWorks. Maybe we see a GNU/Linux version of SW in the future.

• Games.

#18 2012-11-30 22:42:10

WonderWoofy

I agree with drcouzelis on the fontconfig thing.  Fonts in general on Linux are a bit unweildy, as that was honestly one of the harder parts of learning Linux.

Edit: I guess I will also second (or probably like fourth or fifth at this point in the thread) the OO/LO compatibility with ms.  I tell my coworkers that they cannot send me any of these newfangled propritary office formats if they want their attachments read.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2012-11-30 22:44:44)

#19 2012-12-01 09:54:04

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

WonderWoofy wrote:

I agree with drcouzelis on the fontconfig thing.  Fonts in general on Linux are a bit unweildy, as that was honestly one of the harder parts of learning Linux.

I actually think that it has pretty good defaults these days, mainly since the Ubuntu patches got merged upstream. I only use the stock Arch packages, and i think i only re-/moved one or two files from fonts/conf.d to be complete happy with it. I did extensive font tweaking in the past, but i don't consider that a necessity anymore.

Something like infinality can improve it a bit further obviously, but probably isn't worth the hassle for most regular users.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#20 2012-12-01 10:48:43

scar

Gui apps to configure gui apps.

I know, most of you (as myself) spend a lot of time to use rather a terminal emulator then gui interfaces, but as it is possible to install all kind of DEs on the top of GNU/Linux, sometimes I have a really strong desire to convince my friends to use Arch instead of using M$ stuff. The problem is, that sometimes you have to pass to the terminal to set things correctly, etc. And not only in Arch. And I think THIS could be the main drawback for people to abandon M$ and pass to Linux.

Last edited by scar (2012-12-01 10:49:17)

“The future has already arrived. It's just not evenly distributed yet.”
― William Gibson

#21 2012-12-01 13:59:38

der_joachim
Website

The insistence on trying to be a proper desktop OS for the masses. There is quite a few decent distros, but there is not a single DE that can compete with OSX or even Windows. I could write a big rant on this subject (I already have), but I can summarize it this way: either stop pretending to be a desktop OS for the masses, or come up with an OSX-killer.

Let me be the first to say that I do not particularly like OSX, but their desktop is the most workable of them all out of the box.

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#22 2012-12-01 14:22:22

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Periodic blue screens and corresponding losses of data are missing.  I can say that being forced to use another OS at work that has no shortage of them ;p

Last edited by graysky (2012-12-01 14:22:44)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#23 2012-12-01 15:55:34

Iranon

We don't need GUI setup programs for GUI setup programs for GUI programs.
We need user-friendly configuration files with sensible defaults, making the above redundant.

Trying to make a consumer-friendly well-integrated UNIX in the image of OSX means starting several years behind with a less appropriate codebase maintained under a less appropriate license, without Apple's ridiculous marketing clout and resources.
Linux needs to embrace openness. It's a shame that several big projects seem to become more and more insular, indifferent or even hostile to the general Linux community that's not them.

#24 2012-12-01 18:05:08

ANOKNUSA

General acceptance among academics as a viable alternative OS.  I'm taking an HTML/CSS course just for the hell of it next semester, and I'm concerned that, despite HTML and CSS being markup languages and the files being stored in plain text, my professor will expect me to cough up cash for some crappy Windows-and-OS X-only IDE rather than using VIM.  I get why professors might not want, say, a graphic design student using GIMP, but much of the time the software doesn't have any real impact on the final product.  Some of my profs in online courses have expected me to submit .doc files, regardless of the OS and word processor used; it's difficult enough trying to explain that writing out a paper in LaTeX and turning in a finished .pdf is just as good, when they're just going to be printing them out on paper anyway.  Of course, this is more  a social/political issue than a technical one--what with so many profs being crusty old windbags who don't understand that knowledge of and skill with one's tools is more important than a brand name and the amount of money spent on them--but it still irritates me.

tl;dr: Publicity, and an understanding that while it's a niche OS, it can do most the same stuff as other operating systems well enough.  Don't make me shell out craploads of money for software no one really "needs" just because you don't understand the file suffix.

#25 2012-12-02 16:10:59

dolby

Better audio
More cross desktop collaboration between kde and gnome as fd.o is a joke and could just as well redirect to gnome.org since kde doesnt get involved
Less companies like canonical

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

Board footer