You also seem to be anti fully comprehensible statements, ackt1c :-D

#277 2014-12-10 04:40:09

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Awebb wrote:
x33a wrote:
ackt1c wrote:

something that you feel linux is missing >> Cloud?

Care to elaborate?

Do you really want to hear more about whatever comes with the "Cloud" buzzword?

Most of the "cloud" runs on linux, so I was wondering how can linux miss cloud tongue

#278 2014-12-10 22:10:19

life_enjoyer

Linux From Scratch for arm devices.

A R C H
R
C
H

#279 2014-12-10 22:15:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Huh?  I've never done LFS, but you compile it yourself - so why would it not work on ARM?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#280 2014-12-10 22:23:41

life_enjoyer

In the book it says it's targetted for x86 and x86_64 and known to work on arm but with modifications. Doesn't mention what the modifications are hmm

A R C H
R
C
H

#281 2014-12-10 22:39:04

chaonaut

life_enjoyer wrote:

In the book it says it's targetted for x86 and x86_64 and known to work on arm but with modifications. Doesn't mention what the modifications are hmm

well… look here:

1) http://clfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/
2) http://clfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/

btw, i can't remember any other modifications than kernel- and bootloader-related stuff (that is architecture-specific anyway by its nature).

p.s. i’m  experimenting with building musl-based toolchain for 32-bit arm (ARMv5te box), but still far from finish. too much patching is required (not due to building for ARM, but due to using musl).

Last edited by chaonaut (2014-12-10 22:44:10)

— love is the law, love under wheel, — said aleister crowley and typed in his terminal:
usermod -a -G wheel love

#282 2015-02-03 20:39:47

exidux

A modern file layout for distributions. Currently everything is just scattered around in folders and sub-folders following some form of order but eventually it aint that pretty or interresting to use.

Last edited by exidux (2015-02-03 20:40:50)

#283 2015-02-03 21:33:20

drcouzelis
Website

exidux wrote:

A modern file layout for distributions. Currently everything is just scattered around in folders and sub-folders following some form of order but eventually it aint that pretty or interresting to use.

You mean the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard? But then it wouldn't be Unix! tongue

Although I never used it, I do miss having GoboLinux around. Such a neat idea. smile

#284 2015-02-03 21:43:58

Awebb

exidux wrote:

Well, if nobody comes forward quickly, you will have to live with your wish in form of android style application packages, statically linked, packed and shipped as btrfs volumes. If you thought mount looks rough today, wait until less segfaults, because it cannot handle all those mounts coming down the pipe.

#285 2015-02-03 21:59:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

GoboLinux looks a lot like the OSX approach ... which always drove me bat **** crazy.  It also drove me to linux.  I'm feeling much better now.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#286 2015-02-03 23:45:49

cris9288

Trilby wrote:

GoboLinux looks a lot like the OSX approach ... which always drove me bat **** crazy.  It also drove me to linux.  I'm feeling much better now.

I could be wrong, but isn't that also pretty similar to what Windows does? C:\Users, C:\ProgramFiles, C:\Windows, etc.

#287 2015-02-03 23:52:43

bstaletic

cris9288,

Yes it is.

To extend on your examples, there's C:\ProgramFiles\Adobe C:\ProgramFiles\Mozilla, C:\ProgramFiles\Autodesk

#288 2015-02-04 04:02:38

poo

Having penguin logo upon kernel boot back then. I know..i know it took space that should be useful to display the kernel message (against idiomatic Arch as well of usefulness and simplicity). Sometimes I do miss that logo.

#289 2015-02-04 04:07:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Then add it back: just set CONFIG_LOGO in a kernel config (and recompile).

#290 2015-02-04 16:02:22

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

Then add it back: just set CONFIG_LOGO in a kernel config (and recompile).

Last I checked, KMS interfered with the Logo on Intel.  It may or may not work.  On a related note, I remember being startled after getting my first dual core processor and promptly installing Gentoo in lieu of the stock OS -- only to see two logos pop up.  I had not realized you get one logo for every core smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#291 2015-03-09 10:32:37

PieterGen

exidux wrote:

I can compare the Linux  Filesystem Hierarchy Standard to the system Windows uses - I have to use Windows at work. Windows is much more scattered. Confusingly so, actually.

#292 2015-03-09 16:40:33

mychris

All your talk about filesystem stuff reminds me of http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how … stems.html

#293 2015-04-10 17:00:48

angelic_sedition
Website

The lack of any good keyboard remapping utilities.

I think the best solution is to just use tmk, but very few keyboards support it easily. Xmodmap has a couple bugs that can be really annoying and doesn't allow for much, and xkb is unecessarily complicated and still doesn't allow for much. They're both also X specific. There aren't any smart programs that allow for dual-role keys (xcape is useless if you want to do something like use space or letter keys as modifiers; ahm doesn't make things that much better). There isn't any support for chording that isn't program specific (e.g. emacs' keychord and vim's vim-arpeggio). Plover is meh. That's all pretty complicated functionality though where other OSs aren't doing that much better. The most annoying thing about xmodmap is the limited number of layers, fixed modifiers, and weird things like that altgr/ISO_Level3 has ISO_Level3_Lock but other modifiers don't have locks.

Last edited by angelic_sedition (2015-04-10 17:02:00)

#294 2015-04-26 13:02:07

PReP
Website

I usually dream of a linux filesystem where we have something like (only a few examples):

binaries in /bin
libraries in /lib
user-folders in /home/*
system-files and configs and such in /sys/config; /sys/boot; /sys/logs and so on.
and ALL user-application-config files and application leftovers in /home/user/.config  <--

Not far from there as it is now either, just as with i suppose any filesystem standard idea on any OS; not all applications/devs follows it completely.

Last edited by PReP (2015-04-26 13:02:31)

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#295 2015-04-27 03:46:16

EscapedNull

Decent suspend/resume support.

#296 2015-05-22 03:19:21

Rukiri

blackout23 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Leadership.

by Microsoft *ducks away*

Jokes aside I feel that linux is missing a good office suite. OO/LO is nice if you use it for your self and don't demand to much. But let's face it. 90% of all companies world wide probably use MS Office for their work and they require documents to look exactly the same when their partners open them as on their side. You can't just say "Sorry I'm using Open Office I can open your stuff but it looks horrible and the stuff I send you... god knows how it will look like..." Also if you use Excel like a professional you'll quickly see the shortcomings of Calc. If there was native MS Office for Linux I would buy it. Now people will say...but there are open standards! Microsoft should support them! Everyone should use them and it would be problem solved!...Yeah being able to eat all the Pizza you want and don't get fat would also be kind of nice... you know? Just not going to happen.

M$ Office is online so technically you can use Office in Linux through chrome or Firefox, I only use Office because lets face it everyone uses it. 
Even hosting companies use it, it simply the standard and now M$ office is online there's no reason to use Libre or Open Office in any business environment.  Sure it's fine for your own business but once you collaborate, open or libre office is out the door because 99.9% chance that other business or person is using M$ Office which honestly is still the best office suite available. 

But Libre is pretty cool and I do use it for myself, but would never touch it with a 10 feet pole professionally.

#297 2015-05-22 12:56:36

mrunion
Website

Rukiri wrote:

now M$ office is online there's no reason to use Libre or Open Office in any business environment

Cost. Even though it may be a business environment, cost is important. Heck, Google Docs has been MS compatible for years and was free and still didn't get traction.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#298 2015-05-22 14:38:45

ewaller
Administrator

Rukiri wrote:

... it simply the standard and now M$ office is online there's no reason to use Libre or Open Office in any business environment.

That is wrong on so many levels.   The on one end of the spectra it is a buggy, unusable steaming pile.  At the other end of the wrongness spectra, I gather you are not a pupil of Richard Stallman

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#299 2015-05-22 15:40:16

nomorewindows

ewaller wrote:
Rukiri wrote:

... it simply the standard and now M$ office is online there's no reason to use Libre or Open Office in any business environment.

That is wrong on so many levels.   The on one end of the spectra it is a buggy, unusable steaming pile.  At the other end of the wrongness spectra, I gather you are not a pupil of Richard Stallman

Requires an internet connection and probably a connection with the cloud just to be able to use the office online.  Hey, anyone in the cloud wanna help proof read it?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#300 2015-05-22 15:54:34

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Rukiri wrote:

1 more person our children , grandchildren and their children etc will blame for not being able to read what their ancestors published.

Although there are now 2 open document standards, the MS one is not even completely usable in their OWN office suite.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer