You are not logged in.

#401 2016-05-26 23:03:46

Fabs

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Morn wrote:
Fabs wrote:

A fully free open source software replacement as good or better than skype. So far applications like tox, linphone, jitsi are a major fail and cannot compete with the outdatted skype version for linux.

How about Firefox Hello? I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look too bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPq4xFGzG0 (And despite the name, it actually works in browsers other than Firefox. Or at least you only need Firefox to start the call.)

Interesting I will have to try it, thanks.

#402 2016-05-27 12:07:50

Awebb

Steef435 wrote:

And too lacking vi-like bindings, last time I checked. Too bad, I really liked the idea and how it looked.

vim-mode
ex-mode

With a project like Atom, "last time I checked" needs to have shorter intervals. When I checked a month ago, vim-mode was a mess. When I checked last week, everything but the higher functions were in. Now I use Atom in GUI environments and Vim only in a console session.

#403 2016-05-27 16:45:54

surfatwork

Trilby wrote:

So when someone sends a doc(x) in an email when all that really matters is the text content, I conclude they are an idiot for not just including the text content in the email.  And when someone sends a doc(x) in an email because the format matters I conclude they are an idiot for not just sending something like a pdf that maintains the format.  So to save time, whenever someone sends a doc(x), I just assume they are an idiot and I don't bother assessing for which reason.

I think that is being rather simplistic. A lot of documents need collaborative effort. Many a time, the formatting adds structure e.g  a legal document without formatting wouldn't make any sense at all. Both parties need to be able to make changes. This is real life in companies, and as of now, they mostly use Microsoft office.
So it's not as simple as unformatted text = email, and formatted text=pdf.

Last edited by surfatwork (2016-05-27 16:46:59)

#404 2016-05-27 17:43:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You must have missed the rest of my post: if format is important emailing a doc(x) is the wrong approach as this butchers the formatting.  But since you raise the point, if collaborative editing is the goal, then emailing doc(x) files is completely ridiculous.  You'll get independent lineages of changes that cannot be merged in any practical manner.  A markdown format might be better as it is more likely different lineages could be merged safely, or google docs or another web based service would work too.

But don't mind me, I'm clearly sheltered from real life in my work that spans several universities and a couple large companies and has material written by collaborative teams ranging from half a dozen to hundreds of people.

Perhaps one day I'll discover this "real life" thing that odd people keep warning me about.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#405 2016-05-27 18:07:52

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

if format is important emailing a doc(x) is the wrong approach as this butchers the formatting.

I can generate a beautiful document in LaTeX in about a third the time it takes in Word.  Nothing pisses me off more than publishing a properly typeset pdf file, only to have others (including my customers) ask for, or even demand a docx.  Why does someone need to edit a document that is under configuration management?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#406 2016-08-05 02:33:37

bullet

Honestly, developing C++ under Linux doesn't remotely come close to how nice Visual Studio feels.

I have to admit not having tried KDevelop yet, but pretty much everything else and they all lack. IntelliSense is godlike, and the overall handling of VS feels awesome. I tried getting used to vim as a C++ IDE (because I actually do not need all that enterprise stuff and the 1000s of features VS has) but it feels cumbersome, QtCreator is alright I guess too but not close.

Basically, if I think about really enjoying C++ development, I think about firing up Visual Studio. And I'm not even a professional developer but still everything out there feels wrong.

#407 2016-08-05 05:01:33

ewaller
Administrator

bullet wrote:

Honestly, developing C++ under Linux doesn't remotely come close to how nice Visual Studio feels....
Basically, if I think about really enjoying C++ development, I think about firing up Visual Studio. And I'm not even a professional developer but still everything out there feels wrong.

It takes all sorts of snowflakes to make the world.   As a dedicated user of emacs, I feel the same way when forced to used Visual Studio.

vive la différence

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#408 2016-08-05 06:45:01

bullet

You know what, maybe it's time I try emacs. I've been a vim user ever since but I hardly know anything about vim, the god-awful config syntax and pretty much everything about it behind-the-scenes is just ugly to me. Who knows, maybe emacs covers enough of what I want for C++ dev!

I gave qtcreator another try just now and it felt so cumbersome, I was hoping my memory was jaded but alas, that's not the case.

#409 2016-08-05 06:59:40

V1del
Forum Moderator

I use KDevelop mostly and imho it comes pretty close to what one would want when being used to Visual Studio. (Not that I'm really  that used to Visual Studio only used it to fix some bugs in a project that required Visual Studio to compile)

The only downside is that depending on what you are working on the parser tends to be a bit crashy, haven't found a definitive pattern yet though (and the world is going to be a whole lot different when KDevelop 5 gets released anyway)

Last edited by V1del (2016-08-05 07:02:25)

#410 2016-08-22 22:01:33

0x29a

Accelerated Wine developement. Better compatibility with windows apps - especially video games - would bring a whole lot of people to Linux.

#411 2016-08-24 00:43:33

bullet

I also wish more devs would just target Linux as well. I really want to leave Windows behind, and if I have to reboot for gaming, odds are I'll spend all the time in Windows.

What I don't undestand is why some UE4 games (which does support Linux) including the goddamn Unreal Tournament 4 do not support Linux. If more games would be playable natively, I'd be so happy.

#412 2016-08-24 09:13:19

ml

0x29a wrote:

Accelerated Wine developement. Better compatibility with windows apps - especially video games - would bring a whole lot of people to Linux.

So you're saying Linux is missing Windows?

bullet wrote:

I also wish more devs would just target Linux as well. I really want to leave Windows behind, and if I have to reboot for gaming, odds are I'll spend all the time in Windows.

What I don't undestand is why some UE4 games (which does support Linux) including the goddamn Unreal Tournament 4 do not support Linux. If more games would be playable natively, I'd be so happy.

From a Game-developer/publisher perspective this isn't worth it. Because you will still install Windows and play the game anyway. Think about it.

---
Linux is missing...

Trust and acceptance (from Schools, Offices, Companies ...)

#413 2016-08-24 10:10:04

r0b0t

There have been much development on Linux lately also to support games, and due to the growing community also the game development is now focused also for Linux https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SteamOS
In my prospective what Linux is missing is innovation , instead of patching and fixing for a long time.
Linus told some time ago that he wouldn't be releasing 3.x until some innovative features were meet, I don't think he kept his promise.
A new system tree, better security against new threats, better application control , a new fully supportive X server would be nice for example.

Last edited by r0b0t (2016-08-24 10:12:21)

#414 2016-08-24 10:43:41

Awebb

r0b0t wrote:

Linus told some time ago that he wouldn't be releasing 3.x until some innovative features were meet, I don't think he kept his promise.

He must have realized, that there was some sort of competitive masturbation mentality regarding version numbers at the time, that originated in the passive userbase and spread to software vendors at some point.

While I agree, that innovation is great, I don't see where Linux is lacking in your examples.

- Whatever a fully supportive X server is supposed to be, the visual department of the Linux related userland currently exhibits a lot of changes, complete with competition.
- Most of the threats Linux systems experience these days are actually old threats. If you carefully observe the IT security community, you'll notice that most new attack vectors are actually bugs introduced in ancient versions.
- I have no idea what application control is, but there is a number of new concepts for distribution independent packaging. This is "the hottest shit" at the moment, I even feel a sense of uncertainty, because I have no idea which of those concepts I should invest my time and money in, because only one or two will dominate in the long run. I would indeed appreciate an "application freeze" mechanism, because I like the way smartphones and game consoles can simply suspend applications, but I currently don't see how this would be possible without throwing everything we have over board. Maybe the container fad will solve this, but if Microsoft's attempt to establish their "Modern Crap Apps" is any indication where we are heading, I'd rather stick with traditional than new and shiny.
- I have no idea what the flying fuck in hell "a new system tree" would accomplish. The current FSH is a bit over a year old. It was - AFAIK - not so much of an a priori proposal, but rather an a posteriori view on what the different Linux distributions have more or less agreed upon.

I think we shouldn't confuse "innovation" with "new and shiny".

#415 2016-08-25 01:51:41

r0b0t

I see that you are trying to answer some of the issues raised in this thread so I'll not get this in to a pee competition ( smile ), while I appreciate your points I'm still lacking to understand how patching and fixing issues for the last years may be called innovation.
And from the security prospective while I agree that some of the security bugs were introduced in ancient versions,  those bugs being there to exploit after 10 years, to me tells that they aren't very focused in security a the moment.
As you I'm not for the "new and shiny" but Linux can be better in different aspects, that's all.

Last edited by r0b0t (2016-08-25 02:00:56)

#416 2016-08-25 07:02:44

Awebb

r0b0t, I just don't understand your point. There has never been as much innovation at the same time in the Linux world as right now (and over the past few years). It's the highest concentration of "new and shiny" and even "new and useful".

#417 2016-09-11 10:05:20

0x29a

ml wrote:
0x29a wrote:

So you're saying Linux is missing Windows?

Oh, definitely not. I'd never trade Linux's robustness and simplicity for Windows design. My post was not referring to any particular OS ecosystem at all.

Thing is - many games and proffesional applications are windows-exclusive. And that's annoying.
I don't see why more Platinum rating on WineHQ would be a bad thing.

Some say that Wine is making developers ignore Linux platform, but I find it just bogus. I believe that thanks to Wine, which gave countless users a bridge for transition from other platforms, desktop marketshare of Linux-based systems has grown and developers only then started to think seriously of creating native applications.

Ability to launch - for example - Photoshop or DooM without hassle on Linux would, in my opinion, gear developers towards creating faster, more stable native Linux versions of those.

Linux/Unix-like has countless killer apps and features - ZSH, Vim, Compiz, package management, AwesomeWM, super speed and fine grained control, just to name few of my favourites...

Having to trade all of those for ability to play a silly AAA video game or use an industry-standard graphical app just hurts me...

#418 2016-10-02 00:17:46

raingloom

Standardized key codes instead of ugly hacks and terminal databases. So far I've spent 3 hours trying to get Zsh and Urxvt to work and it is still horrendous. This is not a case of "open to configuration" this is a case of plain terrible legacy architecture. Given that these (terminal emulators, shells, tmux) are open source projects, one would think someone would have had enough and at least made a patch to support a common format, but apparently no.

#419 2016-10-02 07:35:42

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Why that happens is actually pretty simple: https://xkcd.com/927/

#420 2016-10-02 10:45:14

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

So far I've spent 3 hours trying to get Zsh and Urxvt to work

My workaround to that is using XTerm ... which seems to be "standard" in the sense that everyone but urxvt emulates it. neutral

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#421 2016-10-02 10:52:03

Steef435
Website

I've never had trouble using Zsh with Urxvt. It's been a long time since I've updated my dotfiles repository but this .zshrc works fine: https://github.com/Steef435/dotfiles/bl … zsh/.zshrc

#422 2016-10-02 10:59:25

bstaletic

Zsh and urxvt worked fine for me as well, back when I was using that. My dotfiles for zsh were not updated in a long time (except some trivial changes, like aliases). My dotfiles are on github, link is in my signature.

#423 2017-01-01 09:54:16

fishfenly

if i could find a replacement for outlook 2016's email, contact, todo and calendar integration, it'd be pretty much perfect for me. The games I play (Dota2, Dwarf Fortress) work beautifully on linux and I'm happy enough to spend the time getting the games that dont working in wine. Makes me feel like i've earned it.

#424 2017-01-16 15:23:29

parchd

fishfenly wrote:

if i could find a replacement for outlook 2016's email, contact, todo and calendar integration, it'd be pretty much perfect for me.

So what are you missing? If you're using Gnome, there is Evolution. If you're using KDE/Plasma, there is Kontact. Of course, you could also use Evolution on KDE or vice versa, or any other DE for that matter.

#425 2017-01-16 16:27:44

Awebb

parchd wrote:
fishfenly wrote:

if i could find a replacement for outlook 2016's email, contact, todo and calendar integration, it'd be pretty much perfect for me.

So what are you missing? If you're using Gnome, there is Evolution. If you're using KDE/Plasma, there is Kontact. Of course, you could also use Evolution on KDE or vice versa, or any other DE for that matter.

The word "integration" is the key here. Kontact is useless without an Akonadi/Nepomuk/PIM based environment and Evolution is a toy. I'd recommend Thunderbird, but since the badword "integration" is on the table, the only real solution would be to go, sit in a corner and sob.

Board footer