You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-01 07:09:12

bwg

[WORKAROUND] Asus Eee PC 1025 Fn / brightness keys

Some of the function keys on my Asus Eee PC 1025 aren't being recognized, specifically the brightness adjustment, trackpad disable, and what I think is resolution adjust and monit or off keys (Fn+F3-F7).  acpi_listen only gives "PNP0C14:00 000000d2 00000000" when those keys are pressed.  The other function keys are recognized.

I have tried setting the kernel parameters acpi_osi=Linux and acpi_backlight=vendor, which have been reported to work elsewhere, but they do not solve the problem in this case.  With acpi_osi=Linux, pressing Fn+F6 adjusts the backlight to maximum brightness and Fn+F5 sets it to one less than maximum.

I can adjust the backlight brightness by setting /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/psb-bl/brightness, but I would like for the brightness keys to work correctly.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: I ended up patching the kernel to add the appropriate keycodes to the sparse keymap in drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-wmi.c so that the kernel now generates the appropriate ACPI events, and handle them with acpid. 

For reference, the keycodes for the keys that the kernel doesn't handle are:

fn+f3 = 0x6b (trackpad disable/enable)
fn+f4 = 0xe1 ("zoom"?)
fn+f5 = 0x29 (brightness down)
fn+f6 = 0x1a (brightness up)
fn+f7 = 0xe9 (monitor off/on)

I found this article at LWN on writing WMI drivers very helpful.

Last edited by bwg (2012-12-03 05:44:00)

Board footer