You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-04 01:14:50

amadar
Banned

Request: Ubuntu's "Boot-Repair" for Arch Linux.

Seems like it would've come in handy multiple times.

#2 2012-12-04 04:04:45

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Request: Ubuntu's "Boot-Repair" for Arch Linux.

Here you go:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

PS: I am not trolling. I feel you should either learn to use a live cd + chroot to fix such problems. If you don't like that, there is supergrubdisk. In any case, you shouldn't be needing either too often unless you like to break your system on a regular basis.

#3 2012-12-04 18:08:15

Jristz

the install media can by used as a repair media, probably lak of ALL reair tools available on repo byt you can steel download them

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#4 2012-12-06 10:14:29

amadar
Banned

@x33a @Jristz I don't have blank CD's at the moment. What I do have at the moment is an external USB SATA drive case that I can just plop drives into for repair, modifying, etc. Being able to easily install something like Boot-Repair would be very handy as opposed to getting up and having to skate or ride my bike 120 downtown-sized blocks to the nearest Walmart just to buy blank disks or a thumb drive. big_smile Plus all my Arch apps aren't in the Live CD.

#5 2012-12-06 11:06:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

What are you doing to your system that has resulted in it breaking "multiple times"? Wouldn't it be better not to do that, instead of trying to apply some other distro's tool?

Regarding your resistance to using the arch iso on removable media: I personally don't understand how anyone runs any distro without having rescue media at hand. Ask someone you know to pick you up a cheap usb stick whenever they're passing the shop, since you're too lazy to go there yourself.

Finally, why on earth would you need "all my Arch apps" on the Live CD? All you need it for is to fix your boot config.

#6 2012-12-20 10:50:20

amadar
Banned

I ended up finding my old Arch media so I updated all the media's packages after booting, mounted the hard drive with the broken system, then changed the root and cache directories in pacman.conf and re-installed and configured the needed packages. I got lucky.

Board footer