You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-12 14:01:05

skanky

[Solved]Spectrwm crashing? (was X input failure...etc....)

EDIT: Okay this problem has changed dramatically. I'll update with another post so as not to lose any potentially useful stuff. Please see posts below for updates.

Hi all,

Sorry for the vagueness of the title, I'm having a trouble with the right terms to get a succinct description.

I've had similar behaviour to what I'm about to describe before, but it has always been one-off failures and not reproduceable. From this morning it has become reproduceable and consistent.

If I leave my laptop for long enough - a few minutes, I haven't worked out exactly how long yet, but it's long enough for the screen to blank and then some - the keyboard will stop working. The touchpad mouse movement will still work fine, but button clicks are ignored. The rfkill button will work but hardware volume buttons won't. Luckily the power button will work so I can cleanly shut down.

This is on AC power, I haven't tried it on battery.

Samba shares are still available and I am considering seting up ssh to let me connect in while it's in this state to see if I can debug more, but as I'm busy with work I don't know when I'll get that done. I'll update if I do.

I am using Spectrwm WM and no DE.

The Xorg log has no entries at the time of the failure but on shutdown I get this, and the error is new:

[  7612.603] (II) evdev: HP WMI hotkeys: Close
[  7612.603] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[  7612.603] (II) evdev: PS/2 Generic Mouse: Close
[  7612.603] (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
[  7612.603] (II) evdev: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
[  7612.603] (II) evdev: Sleep Button: Close
[  7612.603] (II) evdev: Video Bus: Close
[  7612.603] (II) evdev: Power Button: Close
[  7612.618] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Input/output error
[  7612.618] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Input/output error
[  7612.618] 
Fatal server error:
[  7612.618] xf86CloseConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Input/output error
[  7612.618] 
[  7612.618] (EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
[  7612.618] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[  7612.618] (EE) 

There's nothing that jumps out at me in journalctl but if anyone has anything specific that I should be looking for, that would be useful.
I notice that, also at shutdown, Spectrwm crashes - I don't know though if that is related and if it is a symptom.

Nothing that looks relevant was upgraded yesterday or today, but mkinitcpio and kmod were both upgraded on 9th or 10th.

Any other information likely to relevant, just ask.

Last edited by skanky (2012-12-19 10:59:15)

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#2 2012-12-12 14:33:16

skanky

Re: [Solved]Spectrwm crashing? (was X input failure...etc....)

Some more info (I've been looking into whether it's DPMS that's the issue):

Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  XKB indicators:
    00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
    03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
    06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
    09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
    12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
  auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
  auto repeating keys:  00fdffffdffffbbf
                        fedfffefffedffff
                        9fffffffffffffff
                        fff7ffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  600
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
Font Path:
  /usr/share/fonts/local,/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/shareonts/100dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 300
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Issuing

sleep 1; xset dpms force off

and then waiting a few seconds does not reproduce it.

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#3 2012-12-12 18:32:14

skanky

It looks like it was nothing to do with idle time. While trying out various DPMS (disabling, etc.) it has started occurring more frequently and the last three reboots, it has occurred while the machine is in use (eg while I'm scrolling through the journal) and is happening about two minutes or so after X starts up.

If anyone has ideas, I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

I can switch to other TTYs and it looks like it's more than just the input that freezes as X is not updating the display when I switch back.
There is nothing in the Xorg or journalctl logs at the point of error - not just innocuous, nothing gets added at that point.

Last edited by skanky (2012-12-12 18:49:17)

#4 2012-12-12 21:55:19

skanky

Okay, I switched out Spectrwm and I've managed to twenty minutes without a hang.
Time to call it a night and pick it up in the morning - but it looks like something's killing Spectrwm.

I'll post a resolution on here if/when I find it, but if anyone else sees similar behaviour with it please post.

#5 2012-12-19 11:03:36

skanky

Finally had a chance to look into it properly and discovered my issue - stupidity.

Long story short, I recently switched to using powerpill. I had though a status script that called pacman -Sy using sudo and so had put a line in sudoers file to not require a password for that operation.
When I swithced to powerpill I saw that line and though "why did I do that, that's wrong?" and changed it. Bang, status script starts requiring a password. So yeah, multiple instances of stupidity result in difficult to debug hangs.

I've posted this in case someone else has an X lock-up with no logs etc. - check your scripts. wink

Board footer