You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-17 14:48:06

chu887

A question about coredump

Hi,everyone:
       I'v set  ulimit -c unlimited , but when a program crashes(shows:"segmentation fault, core dump"), no coredump file generated.  So I wonder, does a crashed process always generate coredump file ?   if not,    how to set it to generate?

#2 2012-12-17 23:55:04

ataraxia

Re: A question about coredump

systemd stores coredumps in the journal now. (This is new to me too!) See the manpage systemd-coredumpctl(1) for how to extract them. I had to run systemd-coredumpctl as root (with sudo) to see anything.

#3 2012-12-18 03:46:52

chu887

ataraxia wrote:

systemd stores coredumps in the journal now. (This is new to me too!) See the manpage systemd-coredumpctl(1) for how to extract them. I had to run systemd-coredumpctl as root (with sudo) to see anything.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had to run systemd-coredumpctl as root  to get  the coredump list , then had to dump it to a file (default is dump to the stdout but prompts: Refusing to dump core to tty)as root,too.

#4 2013-01-03 06:15:20

dlin

ataraxia wrote:

I want to let a group of users (developer) could access the core dump which generated by their self.
How could I do that?

Running 4 ArchLinux including sh4twbox,server,notebook,desktop. my AUR packages

#5 2013-01-03 08:21:26

dlin

Another question is how to maintain /var/log/journal/

I want to remove the space which occupied by old core dump. Could I remove them manually?

#6 2013-01-03 08:48:33

dlin

Answered by myself after read the man pages.(But I'm not sure it is correct).

1. To let user check core dump, my dirty method is add users to 'adm' group.
2. To setup journal rotating, check MaxFileSec,SystemMaxFileSize of /etc/systemd/journald.conf.

I still have problem on let the user check their core dump. According to manpage of journald.conf, the default behavior of SplitMode is 'login'.  But I found I can not use normal user to check their own core dump.

#7 2013-01-15 22:58:30

bnolsen

Ouch this is SUCH a PITA on a development system.  Can't I just have my core files dump to my current workign directory?  One of my methods of debug is to write small test programs the force core dumps, then stack trace them back.  I'm not keen on running a whole ton of extra commands just to keep this going.

Well this is fun...my /var/ partition isn't big enough to store the core dumps anyways, I specifically had things set up expecting the core file to go to the current directory.

Last edited by bnolsen (2013-01-15 23:23:59)

#8 2013-03-14 08:50:00

orschiro
Website

ataraxia wrote:

Thanks for that information. I was desperatly looking for my core dump. Out of curiosity, is this information on debugging and core dumps already in the Wiki?

I could not find it but it is definitely useful to add.

Board footer