You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-21 11:40:57

justdanyul

Contributing to arch

Hello,

If I have a change that I feel is useful for other users of arch, how can I commit this change for review?

#2 2012-12-21 11:43:27

bohoomil
Website

Re: Contributing to arch

Getting involved -- just in case you may find it useful.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3 2012-12-21 11:44:07

IsSuE

If it is a bug: bugtracker
If it is a tool: forums, AUR

#4 2012-12-21 12:13:54

justdanyul

I read the getting involved page, and I couldn't seem to find anything about how/where to submit suggested changes to already existing packages.

Basically, I created a custom gtkrc file that fixes some of the issues with the eclipse 4.2.1 (as in, fixes the black content assist boxes, which are impossible to read, and makes the padding around the tabs a bit more sane), and I modified the eclipse launcher so it uses this.

Its fairly annoying issue, and I think it would be helpful for java guys if this just worked out of the box.

Can I send this to the package maintainer for review? how do i get in touch with him?

#5 2012-12-21 12:33:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That sounds like something that should just be posted to the forums for others to use as it is just user configuration.  Packages should not change user configs.

If you do want it to be part of a package, it should be part of one of the theme packages like gtk-engines.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-12-21 12:46:43

IsSuE

justdanyul wrote:

I read the getting involved page, and I couldn't seem to find anything about how/where to submit suggested changes to already existing packages.

Basically, I created a custom gtkrc file that fixes some of the issues with the eclipse 4.2.1 (as in, fixes the black content assist boxes, which are impossible to read, and makes the padding around the tabs a bit more sane), and I modified the eclipse launcher so it uses this.

Its fairly annoying issue, and I think it would be helpful for java guys if this just worked out of the box.

Can I send this to the package maintainer for review? how do i get in touch with him?

I LOVE YOU FOR THAT!

I had that bug for so long now and was not really able to fix that. I even posted a thread somewhere around here, where noone responded.
Could you provide your files here directly?  Please smile

Last edited by IsSuE (2012-12-21 12:46:50)

#7 2012-12-21 13:11:39

justdanyul

IsSuE wrote:
justdanyul wrote:

I LOVE YOU FOR THAT!

I had that bug for so long now and was not really able to fix that. I even posted a thread somewhere around here, where noone responded.
Could you provide your files here directly?  Please smile

Sure, I'll post them as soon as i get back from lunch smile

#8 2012-12-21 13:19:46

justdanyul

Trilby wrote:

That sounds like something that should just be posted to the forums for others to use as it is just user configuration.  Packages should not change user configs.

If you do want it to be part of a package, it should be part of one of the theme packages like gtk-engines.

I completely agree that packages shouldn't change user configs, that why I implemented the modification like this?

The changes will only affect eclipse, and it will only do two small changes which basically fixes a extremely annoying bug (the content assist boxes are quite severe, since you cant read what the call to action links says).

I don't understand why you wouldn't want that in the actual package? Rather than having a guide/wikipage saying "yeah its broken, to fix it install this theme, which will then basically change all you gtk2 apps, instead of just changing the one application which is broken" :S

#9 2012-12-21 13:33:30

Lone_Wolf

archlinux packages are generally kept as close to upstream as possible, and this sounds like something upstream should take care of.

The best place to put this information would be on the eclipse page in the archwiki, probably under the troubleshooting section.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2012-12-21 13:33:43)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#10 2012-12-21 13:37:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Perhaps I misunderstood.  If this is a patch that fixes something that is actually (ie objectively) broken in the package, then it should go to the bugtracker to be included as a patch for that package.  It sounded more like a subjective preference that it did not look the way you wanted it to look.  Many users may share a subjective preference, which is why people will share their PS1 or Xresources that they think look nice - but these should not be included in any packages as they just "fix" some subjective aesthetic issues.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2012-12-21 14:06:40

justdanyul

@IsSuE

edit /usr/bin/eclipse and change the line

${ECLIPSE_HOME}/eclipse "$@"

to

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse-gtkrc ${ECLIPSE_HOME}/eclipse "$@" 

then create the file /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse-gtkrc and put the following in it:

style "eclipse-tooltips"
{
    xthickness	= 8
    ythickness	= 4

bg[NORMAL]	  = {0.8, 0.8, 0.8}
    fg[NORMAL]	  = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0}
    bg[SELECTED]  = {0.8, 0.8, 0.8}
}
widget "gtk-tooltip*"		style "eclipse-tooltips"

this fixes the bug with the content assist frames/overlays, if you also want to remove some of the extreme excessive padding, put this in  /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse-gtkrc as well

style "eclipse"
{
	GtkToolbar::internal-padding = 0 
}
class "GtkWidget" style "eclipse"

Last edited by justdanyul (2012-12-21 23:39:50)

#12 2012-12-21 14:09:06

justdanyul

Lone_Wolf wrote:

archlinux packages are generally kept as close to upstream as possible, and this sounds like something upstream should take care of.

The best place to put this information would be on the eclipse page in the archwiki, probably under the troubleshooting section.

that's a shame really, eclipse gets absolutely no Linux love, so I doubt they will fix this any time soon. They aren't too fussed with SWT-GWT or the Linux version all together.

Last edited by justdanyul (2012-12-21 14:10:16)

#13 2012-12-21 14:11:19

justdanyul

Trilby wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood.  If this is a patch that fixes something that is actually (ie objectively) broken in the package, then it should go to the bugtracker to be included as a patch for that package.  It sounded more like a subjective preference that it did not look the way you wanted it to look.  Many users may share a subjective preference, which is why people will share their PS1 or Xresources that they think look nice - but these should not be included in any packages as they just "fix" some subjective aesthetic issues.

I'm going to try and submit it and see if the package maintainer wants it or not smile

#14 2012-12-22 13:27:08

cfr

You could also post it to the upstream bug tracker - maybe if you actually submit a patch, they'll be more likely to fix the issue since it will not involve any significant amount of work? (Assuming the changes don't have unwanted side-effects on anything else, of course - but it doesn't sound like that's very likely.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#15 2012-12-22 13:47:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Off-topic advice: your thread title is too general. This discussion is about one particular change to one particular package, so the title should reflect that.

Board footer