You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-24 02:30:19

jnbek

Unofficial Cinnamon Repository

I've created a Cinnamon repository, I'm aware of the Forked Arch Linux distro, however, I decided to do this, simply because I can, I want to contribute to the Community by offering these packages for us that just want certain Cinnamon packages. I have yet to create a meta package, but that will be soon in coming. I've added a few other packages I use from AUR on a regular basis that I don't want to have to compile all the time on all machines I run Arch on. All that aside to use my new repo, simply add to your /etc/pacman.conf:

[cinnamon]
Server = http://archlinux.zoelife4u.org/cinnamon/x86_64

and pacman -Syy to update and the compulsory -Sl for the package list. I only have packages for 64 bit, not sure why anyone with modern hardware would still want to run a 32 bit OS, but if I get enough requests, I'll build for 32 bit too. But for now, I'll advocate using 64 bit software big_smile

If you can not able use Perl for answer, you are ask wrong question.

#2 2012-12-24 08:03:13

karol
Archivist

Re: Unofficial Cinnamon Repository

Have you considered adding your repo to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … positories ?

#3 2012-12-24 15:56:51

jnbek

@karol I have, I just haven't got that far yet smile

#4 2012-12-24 16:01:04

jnbek

@karol, done!! Thanks for reminding me big_smile

#5 2012-12-24 17:09:48

jnbek

heh, seems there were a couple errors in the dependency tree, this has been corrected. Sorry for the past 2 hours.

#6 2012-12-30 03:43:34

jnbek

32 bit builds now available:

[cinnamon]
Server = http://archlinux.zoelife4u.org/cinnamon/$arch

#7 2013-01-03 04:24:13

jnbek

Has anyone used these yet? any feedback, requests, jeers, etc?

#8 2013-01-15 02:02:57

deanp

I migrated from Mint over to Arch.  I tried to give Gnome3 a chance, I really did, but there is just so much fundamentally wrong with it as it is now.  I did like Cinnamon in Mint and was pleased to see this repo since I didn't really want to bother with the whole patching issue of the cinnamon package in the AUR in order to make it work. 

Everything works as it should so far, so three cheers from me.

Last edited by deanp (2013-01-15 03:02:17)

#9 2013-01-17 11:27:53

easysid

The repo is fine. For me, "pacman -S cinnamon" beats "yaourt -S cinnamon" . Installed it without a problem. Unfortunately, I had some issues with video. On gnome shell, I replaced nautilus with nemo from this repo. Three cheers from me too. smile

#10 2013-02-01 06:12:10

jnbek

Well someone put muffin and cinnamon into the Community repo, thus I'll be readjusting this accordingly, removing these pkg. I have nemo and a buttload of nemo based pkgs/plugins for VCS as well as a number of gtk themes I personally like, on top of the cinnamon-themes/extensions/addons that update regularly, the missing themes, applets, etc are those that threw 404 errors for more than 2 weeks before i pulled them from the cycle. I know a number of packages in the repo are a little behind, I'm working on a build system to improve the updates. I'll be removing my cinnamon/muffin pkgs, to not interfere with their Community counterparts effective immediately. Until I get get my build system done, everything else will remain the same, provided nemo doesn't get Communityized too...

#11 2013-02-03 04:59:40

jnbek

OK, I don't like the community builds, it makes my laptop crash, so I've gone ahead and built the cinnamon-git and muffin-git packages and added them to the repository, they're stable.. I've only got the 64 bit repo updated, my 32bit machine is face down beneath the water line gazing into the deep, for now. I hope to fix that problem in a day or two.

#12 2013-02-03 06:05:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

jnbek wrote:

OK, I don't like the community builds, it makes my laptop crash, so I've gone ahead and built the cinnamon-git and muffin-git packages and added them to the repository, they're stable...

Another approach would be to report bugs to the bug tracker and get it fixed...

#13 2013-02-04 17:20:27

jnbek

@Allan, I intend to, i have a couple machines that I use only official repos for, if i could get some type of error log, stack trace, etc, I'd be all over the bug report, but I been in the FOSS game long enough to know that a Bug Report such as:

Hi there, everytime I start Cinnamon installed from the Community Repos from GDM, my system freezes.. If I compile my own, it works fine...

Will just get mocked and ignored with extreme prejudice ;-) If I can find a way to get a decent stack trace or some kind of replication steps, I'll do so. in the meantime, other justifications for migrating my repo to use the -git builds is to offer users a pre built package that is bleeding edge in comparison to the 'stable' build in the official repo; after all that was one of the main reasons for starting the repo in the first place, well that and i got tired of building cinnamon and the pkg I used 940 times on different machines, etc, and thought it'd be kick ass to contribute to the community a little, get some experience maintaining a repo, umm and put some old machines to good use. Enjoy the most exquisite of all.

#14 2013-06-20 03:36:04

jnbek

I'm going to be taking this repo down for a TBD length of time, I've not had the time required to properly maintain this repo and until time better suits, down she goes. Part of my reasoning is the inconsistent nature of the Cinnamon project and the associated sub-projects, as well as the awful way the Cinnamon devs form their download URLs, updating themes/extensions/applets on the AUR end is abysmal as well. I like Cinnamon and think it has the potential to destroy the 'stock GNOME 3' shell, which will make me very happy, but for now, I just don't have the time nor the energy to chase the wind. The take down will occur pretty much immediately; give or take hours. Sorry for the last 4 months.

Board footer