You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-27 16:50:09

PNG_pyro

rfkill-unblock service fails on startup

Hi, I'm a new user, a motivated beginner who chose arch because it seemed sensible and I wanted to learn a lot. I've been doing that, and having a lot of fun, too, but now I have a problem

I've got my instal working, and most everything is coming together to my satisfaction, but while I've been trying to make my bluetooth work, I've run into an annoying problem.

On my computer, an HP laptop, Arch randomly blocks my bluetooth radio when I start up. This confused me a lot at first, until I downloaded the excellent RF-kill utility. With RF-kill, I was able to unblock my radios, and see my devices and things like that. However, since the radios would be re-blocked, I used systemctl to enable the rfkill-unblock@all service, so they would be automatically unblocked at startup.

Unfortunately, this service invariably fails. Weirdly enough, running it AFTER I log in, with systemctl start, it seems to work just fine. On startup, however, it refuses to cooperate.

Running "Sudo systemctl status rfkill-unblock@all" gives the folloowing output:

rfkill-unblock@all.service - RFKill-Unblock all
          Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rfkill-unblock@.service; enabled)
          Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu, 2012-12-27 10:21:45 CST; 4min 39s ago
         Process: 149 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rfkill unblock %I (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/rfkill-unblock@.service/all

Dec 27 10:21:45 quark rfkill[149]: Can't open RFKILL control device: No such file or directory
Dec 27 10:21:45 quark systemd[1]: Failed to start RFKill-Unblock all.
Dec 27 10:21:45 quark systemd[1]: Unit rfkill-unblock@all.service entered failed state
Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.

I hope I got those code tags correct.

Any help would be much appreciated; this has me completely baffled. I use a bluetooth mouse for most everything, so I'd really like to get this working.

#2 2012-12-27 19:20:06

cfr

Re: rfkill-unblock service fails on startup

I use this:

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/rfkill-unblock.service 
[Unit]
Description=RFKill-Unblock All Devices

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rfkill unblock all
ExecStop=
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[with systemctl enable rfkill-unblock.service]

I'm not sure about the provided services. When I set mine up, the provided files did nothing like what I wanted. The current files look more appropriate but I'm not sure since rfkill-unblock@.service is set to come after rfkill-block@all.service but rfkill-block@.service has a tag to come after rfkill-unblock@all.service. On the other hand, I'm not sure why that would matter provided you aren't also enabling the blocking service as well. I still find these files somewhat confusing - especially those that are essentially templates.

EDIT: I'm not sure the above would do anything different than what you have. Maybe the devices are somehow not available when the unblocking script is getting run on your machine and that's why it works if you run it later but not when it is run as part of boot?

Last edited by cfr (2012-12-27 19:23:20)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2012-12-27 23:08:17

PNG_pyro

Well, you were correct.

Since the RF-kill service was loading before the bluetooth service, it couldn't unblock the bluetooth radio.

I added

"After=bluetooth.service"
"Requires=bluetooth.service"

to the RF-kill script, and now it loads after bluetooth, and everything works. seems to boot a bit slower, though.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I tried to add [SOLVED] to this, and couldn't figure it out. Is that something I should be able to do, or is that something mods do?

Last edited by PNG_pyro (2012-12-27 23:10:30)

#4 2012-12-27 23:11:21

WonderWoofy

Don't forget to mark your post as [Solved].  You may do this by editing your first post, which will allow you to edit the title.

Board footer