You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-29 07:04:47

Alfred Seattle

Can I install Arch Linux?

Hey everyone! I am a very new user of Arch Linux.
I have a Vaio VGN-FE790G Laptop since 2007.
My CD/DVD Room is broken and the Laptop Mother board doesn't boot the USB.
I unplugged the Hard Disk Drive and plugged it to a desktop computer and I successfully installed Ubuntu on it. I plugged to my Laptop and it work prefectly (all the devices work fine, the Mother board is interacted althought the desktop computer's motherboard is not the same company as the Laptop).
I wonder why if I can do the same thing in installing Arch Linux?
Can I do that with all the devices and the motherboard work prefectly?
Thanks for answering my question!
P/s: My English is so bad so some words I used not right. It is the same as the grammar. Please forgive me about that! By the way: I want to install Arch Linux to be the main operating system in my computer, don't have any OS else. I don't want it depend on any OS.

Last edited by Alfred Seattle (2012-12-29 07:09:39)

#2 2012-12-29 07:37:27

WonderWoofy

Re: Can I install Arch Linux?

Probably.  By default Arch Linux creates two initramfs'.  One is machine specific, and the other has more hw modules, so is typically more portable.  Try it and see.

Keep in mind though that with a bit of know how, you can actually install Arch linux from any other linux installation.

#3 2012-12-29 08:42:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Can I install Arch Linux?

Yes you can (referring to possibility).

Whether you in particular can depends on a lot of other factors. Set it up according to the beginner's guide, boot using the fallback initramfs, then rebuild your initramfs.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer