You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-30 13:05:16

r4ptor

Macbook 5,5 can't boot arch

Hey guys,

I'm having a little probleme here. I'm trying to install Arch on my mid09 Macbook pro. As to do so, i partitioned my harddrive to make room for arch, downloaded the iso(checked the md5) and moved the image to an usb key with dd.

Fine, everything smooth until this point. But now the problem. When i boot the notebook and want to boot the usb key by pressing the alt key, i can't boot the usb device. It just doesn't show up.
I tried the way with refit, but still the same problem.

If i copy the image of fedora or ubuntu to the stick, i can boot the systems without any problems. Only arch won't be recognized by the system.

Any hints?

#2 2012-12-30 15:37:06

srs5694
Website

Re: Macbook 5,5 can't boot arch

It's a long shot, but you could try installing rEFInd in OS X, insert the USB flash drive, and reboot. With any luck, rEFInd will auto-detect the USB flash drive and let you boot it. This is the way it's supposed to work, but the fact that holding down the Alt key doesn't do the trick makes me think that rEFInd might not work, either. Still, it's worth a try, especially since you're likely to want rEFInd to manage the boot process after you install Linux.

#3 2012-12-30 15:47:23

WonderWoofy

Another long shot, but how about removing the legacy bios functionality of the iso. See here on how to achieve this. 

Worst case scenerio, you can install from one of those other distro's live environments.  See here for that.  I have done this a couple times, and it is really not all that hard.  I have tried the last method of simply installing pacman int a live ubuntu (as ubuntu's install media seemed to handle the mac boot the best at the time).  Though the second idea of simply chrooting into the arch iso from another distro seems pretty ingenious (and simple), as you would simply be chrooting into the live media, where you bootstrap (use pactrap) and then chroot from the live media chroot to the new install, and everything works exactly as in the beginners guide.

#4 2012-12-30 16:39:13

r4ptor

srs5694 wrote:

It's a long shot, but you could try installing rEFInd in OS X, insert the USB flash drive, and reboot. With any luck, rEFInd will auto-detect the USB flash drive and let you boot it. This is the way it's supposed to work, but the fact that holding down the Alt key doesn't do the trick makes me think that rEFInd might not work, either. Still, it's worth a try, especially since you're likely to want rEFInd to manage the boot process after you install Linux.

Didn't work, but thanks for the hint.

WonderWoofy wrote:

Another long shot, but how about removing the legacy bios functionality of the iso. See here on how to achieve this.

Didn't work either.

WonderWoofy wrote:

Worst case scenerio, you can install from one of those other distro's live environments.  See here for that.  I have done this a couple times, and it is really not all that hard.  I have tried the last method of simply installing pacman int a live ubuntu (as ubuntu's install media seemed to handle the mac boot the best at the time).  Though the second idea of simply chrooting into the arch iso from another distro seems pretty ingenious (and simple), as you would simply be chrooting into the live media, where you bootstrap (use pactrap) and then chroot from the live media chroot to the new install, and everything works exactly as in the beginners guide.

Ok thanks, i'll try to install it over a live ubuntu. I hope this works out for me

#5 2012-12-30 17:06:13

WonderWoofy

Good luck r4ptor.  Keep in mind that method #2 is basically the exact same as a normal installation (of course this is after you achieve the mounting and chrooting into the install iso).  This is the method I will likely use from now on, as installing pacman on another distro (though not hard) is quite a bit more work than a simple chroot.

Board footer