You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-04 16:34:18

zero-giulio

LXDM does not come after root logout (but it works fine after normal

I recently installed Arch with LXDE  (and LXDM as login manager).
Everything works fine, except one strange feature I hope to solve thanks to this post.
I think I have to configure something on LXDM or X11.

I'll try to explain my problem.

When I boot computer, LXDM come.
If I login as one of my normal users, no problem: I can login and logout as many times I want, and LXDM come every time I logout.
But if I login as root, then after logout LXDM no longer come (after root logout the standard console (no X11) come).

Any suggestions?
I very rarely login as root, but in such cases I do want LXDM after logout.

#2 2013-01-04 19:45:27

root

Re: LXDM does not come after root logout (but it works fine after normal

The first thing I would wonder about is why do you actually need to login as root into a X session if, as long as your user has the right priviledges (f.e. sudo access), most of the tasks can be performed as a normal user. Or you can run apps directly as root once su is run.

Looking around the wiki it seems you may have stumbled over the default behaviour regarding root not being able to access a non-root user's X server. For further info check out this.

I hope someone else is able to shed more light on this though.

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#3 2013-01-05 12:40:12

zero-giulio

Of course logging as root is a very rarely thing for me.
With su and sudo I can perform everything.

The point is to compare the desktop environmnet of "root" and "giulio".

User giulio is customized: theme, icons, panel and so on.
Instead, root has the standard LXDE environment (standard icon, standard theme, etc).

Sometimes I want to see if I installed theme for giulio only or for all. To accomplish this task I login as root and launch LXAppereance program: if I see the new icon theme (for example) then I installed that for all, otherwise, i installed that only for giulio.

This is why I found such problem I'm talking about.

Of course this is nothing important.
I can live all my life without logging as root.

But, I prefer to have all the things ordered in my system.
Now that I see LXDM is not properly configured (after root logout) I prefer to fix it (this does not mean I actually continue to log in as root).
It's just to fix things.

#4 2013-01-08 21:51:18

root

If I remember correctly the installation of a theme depends on the location of where you place/install the files. Thus if it is in /usr/share it will be available for all the users whereas if applied in ~, that is home, is will only be availalbe to the user/owner of that home folder.

Therefore I don't see the need for the use of the root user.

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

Board footer