You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-07 06:44:50

zanny
Website

[SOLVED] Apper "Failed to Obtain Authentication"

I'm trying to set up Apper, I like how it auto-probes available updates daily and I can just pop it open to see whats new. Problem is, actually installing updates doesn't work. No user or root password prompt, just "Failed to Obtain Authentication".

The polkit wiki page is outdated for one. It seems to be a mix of pre-systemd and pre-polkit notes. The only thing I tried from there was the "mount without authentication" script, which did work.

Here are the posts I found on the bbs already about similar topics:

Here is a bug report from debian about something similar. But like before, I have polkit working and pkcon works under root, so it isn't the same issue. Also, I read a bunch about how polkit (not policykit) has specific integrations with systemd that make it behave differently vs other init systems.

I have also read in multiple places that polkit has a KDE system settings page, but I don't have it. It might have been in policykit, since most of the posts I'm finding are years old.

So it looks like I'm going to have to manually write polkit permissions for apper, unless someone knows what's missing here. So anyone know something?

Last edited by zanny (2013-01-09 06:20:01)

#2 2013-01-07 22:51:01

oboedad55

Re: [SOLVED] Apper "Failed to Obtain Authentication"

I'm using yapan as an update notifier. It works great and is unobtrusive. You can also install updates with it.  I've had problems with apper on other distros so it's the first thing to go as it hangs up package management.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … _Notifiers

Registered Linux user #436067

#3 2013-01-08 08:23:30

zanny
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Apper "Failed to Obtain Authentication"

I got apper working by purging polkit, wiping configurations, and reinstalling both. I don't have issues with it personally so I'll keep using it, but yapan is on my short list if it acts up again.

Board footer