You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-11 07:34:50

ismaelvc

Some e17 and X issues and doubts.

Hello everyone!

Warning: long post ahead, I knew this was going to be a tediously long one, but I did try to solve it by myself first so please bare with me!.

For those of you that use e17; do your wallpaper stays the same? if I set up an image at next boot I have only a white background, using the "Circuit" bg from the AUR e17-backgrounds is the same, but I can still see the clock.

Also, do your applications menu work correctly?, mine doesn't show some sections, but "everything"(module) works fine.

I'm using the default theme.

background_e17_fail.png
This is how it looks.

background_e17_good.png
This is how it should always look.

everything_e17.png
This is everything in the "Office section"

menu_e17.png
     This is the "Office section" not working from the menu. (notice there is a little popup, like if the menu is about to come out, but it doesn't)

Also I just disconnected and reconnected the wired network and connman fails to restart again, but the network is working, thanks dhcpcd!

This is the first time I try e17 for real. (three solid weeks of continue usage, and I'm sold even with the glitches!)

Previously I used kde (even when I only had 256M RAM) it worked, but it wasn't recognizable anymore since I had to strip away too much!, then mate, lxde, xfce, rox, trinity all work fine (minus graphical glitches (see below)), but I like e17 the most by far, I only use goomwwm in school (to avoid distractions), but e17 tilling is nice, it may become the shell that rules them all for me! wink

I also have some graphic glitches, but I'm not sure if those are e17 related, since I haven't been able to start X with xf86-video-mach64 (like I used to, and I have followed the wiki about this card and other topics where pertinent).

And xf86-video-vesa, fails to bring full brightness when switching back and forth from X to a tty (I had to fallback to xf86-video-fbdev (bye bye full-screen DOOM *sniff), plus I also have issues with all DE and WM (KDE and qt apps worked fine some months ago which was my original setup, but I'm sooo busy now, damn! sad (though I did tried to fix it at the time which led me to try all the other WM and DE and obviously I have failed miserably)), so I blame X and my ignorance for that.

Note: previously I tried kde, lxde awesome and xfce, and they worked fine, now awesome doesnt even start for example, trinity starts for a momment and then crashes the same for kde under mach64 driver, in short it's GUI caos!! (I'm frutrated to a bareable level, I have honsetly tried to do many things, but I'm completely stuck in this issues.)

Why.jpg
     Here shows guake and konsole, failing, the thing that dazzles me is that guake works fine in mate, trinity, goomwwm for an example but some apps fail under some DE and not on others just like guake here.

I tried recompiling old X stack at the time, (didn't have the old packages because I had only a 4G HDD so I erased the pacman cache systematically after every update!) but I wasn't able to make it work (damn ignorance!), notice also the tool-tip. but I will let this issues for another post if you guys consider they are off-topic for this post, which started about e17 (but I don't know anymore if it's just e17 or X or something else), ...still if you have *any* idea of how to proceed I would certainly appreciate it.

Specifically I don't know If I'm the only one suffering from the wallpaper and menu misbehavior!! (again, sorry for the long post, I have tried to edit it nicely, sorry for the lame English too.)

I'm not asking for you to solve my problems step by step as if a child, but please understand I'm absolutely lost by now, even if it's just a hint or a suggestion.

I sincerely need help on this one.

Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: I will leave it like this for today, as I'm making this post way too long, but still I'm not sure I'm expressing myself correctly about this, I hope you can digest this big_smile, but still I will post tomorrow some X error logs because I know that without those this is worthless.

Last edited by ismaelvc (2013-01-11 09:28:14)

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#2 2013-01-11 18:38:37

bgc1954

Re: Some e17 and X issues and doubts.

I just fired up my old e17 desktop so I could see if I had similair problems--haven't used e17 in sometime.  The new e17 didn't like my old settings and crashed when I tried to use it.  I deleted my /home/user/.e and /home/user/.efreet directories and started over--or rename them if you would rather.  Then I restarted and all was ok.  I've had better luck with putting wallpaper in my home directory in a folder--like wallpaper--and pointing the wallpaper selector to a picture in my home folder than a theme as some themes don't seem to work well with the latest e17.  I have no menu problems so can't comment on that.  Try a new start...might help your problems.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2013-01-12 17:39:58

ismaelvc

Thanks bgc1954!

I had already tried restarting configuration as you suggested, and it's the same sad .

Do you think this is the old graphic card, giving it's last breath or have it lost it's upstream support? I mean this is a really old laptop, maybe, I just ran out of luck, because this hasn't been fixed for me bia upgrades, the wiki clearly states this card never recieved correct support, even when it was new sad

I really would like to solve this, but I guess I'll just have to reinstall arch and see what happens, if it is the same after a clean install, I will post then the relevant xorg logs, because I do have installed trinity, mate, kde, e17 right now, maybe there was some conflict somewhere, and I have also about 50 AUR packages intalled (mostly python stuff).

Yes I will do that! my last resort before breaking down lol, but I think that if this is indeed a driver issue, then I will just gonna end up the same, after reinstall, but at least I will remove some uncertainty after that, if I'm not able to pinpoint this after that, I'll come here and post, thanks again!

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati

#4 2013-01-12 19:19:20

bgc1954

ismaelvc wrote:

Yes I will do that! my last resort before breaking down lol, but I think that if this is indeed a driver issue, then I will just gonna end up the same, after reinstall, but at least I will remove some uncertainty after that, if I'm not able to pinpoint this after that, I'll come here and post, thanks again!

Sorry, I didn't mean a reinstall--always a very last resort.  I just meant new start with blank ~/.e settings, but since you already tried that, I don't have any other suggestions, unfortunately.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#5 2013-01-12 19:35:05

ismaelvc

Yes I know. But at least I'll be able to pin point better what is causing this, I am currently in the process of doing a backup, as I said I ended up installing and testing TONS! of software that I don't really use anyway wink , but, know I know that e17 is the best performing DE for this machine, and it's really cool to be able to have some bling and eye candy also, and now I also know exactly which programs I want (subl, qupzilla prboom, etc.), I guess it will be easier, than uninstalling everything I don't liked anymore, for example I don't remember exactly what brought pulseaudio into the mix (I think it was mate), but I don't need it, etc.

I wanted to start posting logs yesterday (but so many permutations to test (fbdev, mach64, vesa/kde,mate,trinity,e17/qt,gtk apps, etc. working under certain conditions and not in others.), but I can see this becoming another long post, and I'm afraid that will scare some of you guys even if they are willing to help, and I really need your help, so I'll try to make it as clear as posible, where this problem is comming from, by reducing the size of the issue. I hope it works.

I apreciate your help!

Last edited by ismaelvc (2013-01-12 19:38:17)

#6 2013-01-12 19:45:05

10PinkPanther

I'm using E17 again.Now with Arch and before it was Bodhi.So far so good,not a single problem.Modules,tiling,you name it.It's all working.Had to spend some time to get conky working till I found that i have to disable comositing for it to work as it should.And I'm really happy with it.
EDIT:When I change theme or wallpaper I have no problem at all.

Last edited by 10PinkPanther (2013-01-12 19:46:28)

Board footer