You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-11 10:55:39

beachcoder
Member
Registered: 2009-10-08
Posts: 130

Firefox switches proxy settings each time a new window is opened

Hello folks!

I'm having a curious problem with Firefox 18.0 since the last update.
Every time I open Firefox or a new application, the proxy settings are set to "Use system proxy settings".

Here's a screenshot of how it looks like right after I opened firefox. In the background you can see the message I now always get, "Unable to find proxy server".
686448b625e256854003c6e277d3828b.jpg

I always have to change this back to "No proxy" to surf the internet. This setting is kept until I open the next window or close and re-open Firefox, than it's reset back at this again, an opening websites does not work.
I first had the idea that the ProxyFoxy-AddIn is causing that, but the problem still exists also after disabling ProxyFoxy.

I'm not sure if this is a Firefox bug or another problem. Maybe can anyone tell me where to set "system proxy settings" in Arch Linux, so that I can avoid this problem. Or do I need to contact Mozilla in this case?

Thank you!

Jan

Offline

#2 2013-01-11 11:58:54

jjacky
Member
Registered: 2011-11-09
Posts: 347
Website

Re: Firefox switches proxy settings each time a new window is opened

I think there might be a bug in FF18. After the upgrade, I would also get the error message and couldn't open any site, though using "No proxy" worked I believe. Turns out I had something set under network.proxy.socks (and network.proxy.socks_port) (leftovers of tests done a while back) and even though they shouldn't have been used (I believe, FF17 didn't & I'm using "Use system proxy settings") they obviously were, leading to the problem.

Just resetting those 2 options fixed things for me, and I didn't have time to look into it more, but there might be a bug in there somewhere...
Maybe try checking under about:config if you have any proxy settings set (that you don't need/use) (You don't seem to have any set, but I can't recall if they were visible in the Preferences window or not for me...), and if so reset them. Or just look for any (network) options not using its default value... (Assuming, as it did for me, that running FF18 with a brand new profile works fine.)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB