You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-15 05:00:45

lionel_hutz

Pulseaudio is anti-headphone volume

Hi all,

I'm struggling to get pulseaudio to play nicely with my headphone jack.  I can get sound out of my speakers, but the second I plug in headphones, the speakers are muted as they should be and the port in pavucontrol is correctly switched from speakers to headphones.  The problem is that headphones volume controller in pavucontrol does nothing, and in order to get sound out of my headphones, I must manually switch the port control from headphones to speakers.  In doing so, my laptop's speakers stay muted and the headphones work correctly.  But every time I unplug my headphones, the speaker controller gets muted and every time I plug in my headphones, the speakers are muted and the controller switches from speakers to headphones, as I previously explained.

I have an hp dv6 and the output of aplay -l is

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I'm running the latest kernel and pulseaudio and the install is about a week old, so I haven't tampered with any configuration files

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do?  And I apologize if I did a bad job of explaining my problem.

Last edited by lionel_hutz (2013-01-15 05:02:29)

#2 2013-01-15 18:37:17

winBUG$_hater
Banned

Re: Pulseaudio is anti-headphone volume

I tell U...pulseaudio sucks!

#3 2013-01-15 18:56:34

ewaller
Administrator

winBUG$_hater wrote:

I tell U...pulseaudio sucks!

Please do not troll.  That post is a complete, total waste of time and resources, does nothing to promote intelligent discussion, and reflects poorly upon the author.  Do not repeat this.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-01-15 18:58:57

ewaller
Administrator

Did the headphones ever work with Pulseaudio?  How about if you use just straight Alsa?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-01-16 18:17:11

lionel_hutz

ewaller wrote:

Did the headphones ever work with Pulseaudio?  How about if you use just straight Alsa?

I've tried using alsa, but neither my headphone jack nor speakers worked with it.

#6 2013-03-01 18:36:46

unhammer
Website

don't know the solution, but the workaround I use is to set the correct port at the start of my volume-up/down script:
https://gist.github.com/unhammer/5066729
which I've set to run on hitting my keyboard vol up/down keys, so it's just a single keypress after plugging in the jack. Ugly, but I tend to hit volume keys whenever plugging in/out stuff anyway wink

Board footer