First of all, I want to tell you, that I'm pretty new to Arch and I'm loving it.
But there is one problem that occurs, sometimes when I'm booting into
Arch. And this is really driving me nuts. I've searched around on google
and on this great forum, but I didn't find any similar topic.
I enabled the output of systemd while booting and it starts freezing
when it comes to the fsck of the device dev/sda3. The last point
the output shows is, that it reached the target swap.
I tried to figure out what's next point in the boot order and I'm pretty
sure that there is an issue with the sda3 partition. But the point
I really don't understand is, that sometimes the system boots without
I'm not so sure which logs you guys want to see and I don't want to spam
with irrelevant logs. Even if i nearly exclude it as an Error, i'll post the fstab:
# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdb1 / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1
/dev/sdb3 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=ce5d83e9-1e2e-47e2-9077-f19a9dd7f1c7 none swap defaults 0 0
Thanks for all responses or ideas
Last edited by TK (2013-01-21 21:18:43)
When everything seems right and the boot sequence is completed successfully, what is the output of 'fdisk -l'?
Edit: You may want to check 'journalctl -b'. By the way, your Arch installation is on device sdb, and the boot sequence stops on sda, right?
Last edited by bohoomil (2013-01-18 11:49:06)
Thanks for the fast answer, that was pretty quick.
I was able to reproduce the error at startup and the output was:
[OK] Activated swap /dev/disk/dy-uuid/ce5...
[OK] Reached target swap
[OK] Reached target Sound Card
--- break of ca. 1.5 minutes --
[TIME] Timed out wating for device dev-sdb3.device
[Depend] Dependency failed for /home
[Depend] Dependency failed for Local File System
So it's actually the sdb3 partition and there is no problem
with the boot sequence. Furthermore the output 'fdisk -l' is
empty and I'm not able to find the error in the 'journalctl -b'.
You have to precede fdisk with sudo to see the output. Besides, you can comment or remove the tmpfs entry from your fstab as it is not needed anymore.
Can you see any errors when you run systemctl? If you do, run
systemctl --status failed.service
to inspect the details.
Were I you, I would unify the device naming, i.e. use UUID in both /etc/fstab and grub.cfg (if you are using GRUB) to avoid problems. You'll find out the necessary values with 'blkid' command.
Last edited by bohoomil (2013-01-18 12:48:45)
I don't think you should have "defaults" for swap in fstab. I don't think this is causing the problem but I think it is not correct. (I have "sw" though I'm not sure looking at the man page where this is from but the options listed as "defaults" don't look right for swap.)
Please use code tags:
[code ][/code ]
You have to precede fdisk with sudo to see the output.
Well, I also had the feeling I was doing something wrong, sorry my fault
At least I learned for what the BBCodes stands for...
Did I mentioned I'm pretty new to this whole Forum thing ... ?
Over the weekend I'm not able to work at my Pc, so I will probably try your suggestions
Thanks for fast answers. I will give you an answer as soon as possibly.
Hope you'll have a nice WE.
Last edited by TK (2013-01-18 16:44:43)
sorry, I'm a little bit late for sunday evening ...
Well the output of the fdisk -l is:
Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors Units = Sektoren of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x638ed8df Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System /dev/sda1 * 2048 327682047 163840000 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT /dev/sda2 327682048 1953521663 812919808 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT Disk /dev/sdb: 163.9 GB, 163927522816 bytes, 320170943 sectors Units = Sektoren of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x0009150d Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System /dev/sdb1 * 63 68356574 34178256 83 Linux /dev/sdb2 68356575 76164164 3903795 82 Linux Swap / Solaris /dev/sdb3 76164165 320170942 122003389 83 Linux
And the other command bohoomil suggested:
systemctl --status failed.service
doesn't work, because it's an unkown option. Also
systemctl status failed.service
gives an error : No such file or directory.
Thanks for any further help, you guys are great
I suggest you avoid using kernel names. The fact that you're seeing this only intermittently shows that it's causing problems. Use labels or UUIDs in fstab, not node names like /dev/sda3.
Using my own fstab as an example...
# # /etc/fstab: static file system information # # Corsair F80 (80G) LABEL=CorsairF80-boot /boot ext3 noatime,nodev,noexec 0 2 # WDC Caviar Black (2TB) LABEL=CaviarBlack-home /home ext4 defaults,relatime,x-systemd.automount 0 2 LABEL=Gluttony /mnt/Gluttony ext4 nodev,noatime,x-systemd.automount 0 2 # Seagate Barracuda (1TB) LABEL=Haven /mnt/Haven ext4 nodev,noatime,x-systemd.automount 0 2 /mnt/Haven/packages /srv/nfs/pkgs none defaults,bind 0 0 /mnt/Haven/vmscripts /srv/nfs/vmbin none defaults,bind 0 0
Labels can only changes if you specifically change them, or reformat the partition, and wont' randomly change on reboot.
You can find the labels and UUIDs for the devices using blkid -- make sure to run it as root.
I set the UUIDs in fstab like mentioned above.
It seems that the problem is gone.
I've rebooted several times and the system didn't freeze.
Thanks guys, this is a great forum and a great community