You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-18 19:08:17

MikeDacre
Website

[SOLVED] Second monitor not available after reboot

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a second monitor working.  Right now I have just set in up in xfce as an extended desktop, my attempts at getting a second X display failed miserably (no screens found).  I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card (msi brand), and I am using the xf86-video-ati driver, the proprietary version won't even allow me to start X (again, a no screens found error).

My issue now is that if I plug in my second monitor after the computer has booted, it works fine.  If I then reboot, the linux console adopts the resolution of this second smaller monitor on my main big screen, and the second monitor doesn't work at all - there is just a flickering blue line in the top 2 pixels or so.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Also, does anyone have any idea how to have two monitors working in the linux console?  Even if that just mean having one disabled until X is started?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by MikeDacre (2014-10-14 16:12:27)

#2 2014-10-14 16:12:03

MikeDacre
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Second monitor not available after reboot

This ended up being a bug in the graphics card itself, not in X. With a different graphics card, the problem went away. Possibly the kernel drivers for the old graphics card just weren't compatible with it.

Board footer