You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-04 22:19:38

Lone_Wolf

Which WM/DE ?

I have used Suse Linux & KDE for some time, but am switching to Arch now.

Main programs i use :
Gaim, Firefox, Krusader, VMware, OpenOffice

making screenshots and converting them to jpg or png is also important.
(done with ksnapshot and Gimp atm).

Most of my apps are run full screen and i use 4 virtual desktops in KDE to switch between them.

Performance and low memory footprint are more important to me than eye candy.

Suggestions ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2 2005-10-04 22:21:46

iBertus

Re: Which WM/DE ?

wmii or ion3? hell, maybe even ratpoison would be good for that sort of usage.

#3 2005-10-04 22:29:46

ozar

iBertus wrote:

wmii or ion3? hell, maybe even ratpoison would be good for that sort of usage.

Yep, I agree with iBertus.

...and if you don't like any of those, try pekwm, or openbox.

oz

#4 2005-10-05 23:02:45

paranoos

smile i'll give a vote for pekwm as well.

after using KDE, a simple WM will be quite different for you. lots of configurability is available through text files with most WMs. ion and wmii force your programs into a tiled layout, which may be good for you, as you can simply make everything take up the whole screen. ratpoison is very simple and it just draws a black border around everything -- no titlebars.

pekwm and openbox are a bit more conventional, drawing titlebars, decent theming support, root menus etc... people are leaning more towards pekwm around here these days, heh and i like to take some of the blame for that smile some of pekwm's features include the ability to group windows together, with tabs to select each window... for instance, i group firefox and thunderbird together. you could also group all your terminals together, along with an xchat window. pekwm also has autoproperties to allow you to force all gaim messages into a specific corner, or to run specific apps without a titlebar.

edit: oh yeah, and you can use scrot to take screenshots, you'll find it in the AUR.

#5 2005-10-06 00:07:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

As an aisde imagemagick is much better for converting images than gimp...

#6 2005-10-06 00:37:08

ozar

I second the imagemagick recommendation for screenshots.

oz

#7 2005-10-06 15:08:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

paranoos wrote:

ion and wmii force your programs into a tiled layout, which may be good for you, as you can simply make everything take up the whole screen. ratpoison is very simple and it just draws a black border around everything -- no titlebars.

You can also disable the border... mine have none.  ratpoison, by default, makes each window fullscreen, which you can change by applying splits and resizes (keyboard only)

#8 2005-10-06 17:38:16

paranoos

phrakture wrote:
paranoos wrote:

ion and wmii force your programs into a tiled layout, which may be good for you, as you can simply make everything take up the whole screen. ratpoison is very simple and it just draws a black border around everything -- no titlebars.

You can also disable the border... mine have none.  ratpoison, by default, makes each window fullscreen, which you can change by applying splits and resizes (keyboard only)

ahh heh. you know, i shouldn't have written that paragraph, considering i've only tried ion for about ... 2 minutes, and have never installed the others. figured i'd give a shot at describing them though, since nobody else had.

#9 2005-10-15 11:52:21

Lone_Wolf

Thanks for the input.

I have looked at the wm's you mentioned and think i will try each of them.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#10 2005-10-15 16:11:13

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

If you're a 'try each of them' sort of guy (we love people like you here....), you might want to add pekwm to the list. Its kind of a middle ground between fully tiled wms like those described above and fully overlapping wms like you're used to.

Dusty

Board footer