You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 03:27:33

holland01

Dual Booting With Windows 8?

So, I found this guide: http://www.neuraladvance.com/2012/11/17 … -uefi-lvm/. While I've ran and used Arch before a few times, it's been a while.

The problem is that the guide decides to use the Windows 8 partition itself to install Arch; what I would like to do is use my own partition for Arch, making it as independent as possible from Win8, and both booted with Grub. I've already wiped everything and reinstalled Windows 8 first, however I'm a bit confused as to how to properly setup a UEFI partition. Period. Are there any good guides on how to do this? The Dual Boot article on the wiki, unfortunately, wasn't very helpful in my case.

While I have the latest snapshot already on USB, it doesn't boot properly, not allowing access to /dev/tty (i.e., I can't do anything). Also, I unfortunately can't use GParted Live since none of my DVDs are rewriteable; they've already been used up over the years. So, if anyone has any suggestions on how best I can approach this (or good resources which are to the point; i.e., not too much details to wade through), it would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 2013-01-22 03:32:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Dual Booting With Windows 8?

I doubt the (flagged out of date) dual boot wiki would be what you needed to set up uefi boot.  One would think the "uefi" wiki article would be a better candidate.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-22 04:24:28

srs5694
Website

holland01 wrote:

So, I found this guide: http://www.neuraladvance.com/2012/11/17 … -uefi-lvm/. While I've ran and used Arch before a few times, it's been a while.

The problem is that the guide decides to use the Windows 8 partition itself to install Arch; what I would like to do is use my own partition for Arch, making it as independent as possible from Win8, and both booted with Grub.

By "the Windows 8 partition," it appears that you're referring to the EFI System Partition (ESP) that Windows created -- /dev/sda1 in the referenced guide. I've only skimmed the article, but I didn't notice any reference to using any actual Windows partitions in it. Note that the ESP doesn't really "belong" to any one OS; it definitely is not a Windows partition. It is, as its name suggests, a partition that "belongs" to the EFI. It's meant to be shared across OSes.

That said, if you really want to, you can create multiple ESPs. This is legal according to the EFI spec. Unfortunately, it can cause problems, since the Windows 7 installer gets very confused if it sees multiple ESPs and an installation of Windows 7 will fail. I don't know if Windows 8 has the same problem, but if it does, and if you find that you need to re-install Windows, having multiple ESPs will complicate matters. Thus, I generally recommend sticking with one ESP per disk if at all possible. Be sure to keep it backed up in case some ill-behaved program trashes it, though.

#4 2013-01-22 04:36:42

holland01

srs5694 wrote:

By "the Windows 8 partition," it appears that you're referring to the EFI System Partition (ESP) that Windows created -- /dev/sda1 in the referenced guide. I've only skimmed the article, but I didn't notice any reference to using any actual Windows partitions in it. Note that the ESP doesn't really "belong" to any one OS; it definitely is not a Windows partition. It is, as its name suggests, a partition that "belongs" to the EFI. It's meant to be shared across OSes.

That said, if you really want to, you can create multiple ESPs. This is legal according to the EFI spec. Unfortunately, it can cause problems, since the Windows 7 installer gets very confused if it sees multiple ESPs and an installation of Windows 7 will fail. I don't know if Windows 8 has the same problem, but if it does, and if you find that you need to re-install Windows, having multiple ESPs will complicate matters. Thus, I generally recommend sticking with one ESP per disk if at all possible. Be sure to keep it backed up in case some ill-behaved program trashes it, though.

Oh, smashing. I had no idea that's what it meant by it; I appreciate the clarification and sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

#5 2013-03-05 06:32:13

sidneyk

holland01 wrote:
srs5694 wrote:

Oh, smashing. I had no idea that's what it meant by it; I appreciate the clarification and sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

Even further, 1 ESP per system, regardless of number of disks, is sufficient, provided it is made large enough, i.e. 300MB or more.

#6 2013-03-07 00:30:22

cfr

It should be at least 512M. (See the wiki - this is not arbitrary and is true regardless of how much space you need, unless, of course, you need more in which case it should be bigger.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer