You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 15:35:14

lmello

How 'edgy' does your CPU have to be to run Desmume @ 60fps?

I'm trying to play a single game: Final Fantasy III, a game that has hooked me up like 10 years ago on Nesticle ^_^

Desmume is known to be accurate and slow - specially on linux - and I want to ask about users' experience. On my desktop machine with Slackware 14.0 I could get the latest stable version running @ 50fps on a x86_64 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.50GHz, but only by passing '-msse3' to gcc when compiling. Here on Arch I'm yet to see - I finally got a 'working' laptop anyway. The processor is a x86_64 Intel Core i3 CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4. Will it suffice?

Last edited by lmello (2013-01-22 15:36:37)

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#2 2013-01-22 20:24:31

ZekeSulastin

Re: How 'edgy' does your CPU have to be to run Desmume @ 60fps?

Only one way to find out big_smile

On my C2Q Q9000 (2 GHz), I get better performance running Desmume in WINE ...

#3 2013-01-22 21:02:02

lmello

I know, but the latest svn build fails... ah! When I passed 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fPIC -msse3 CXXFLAGS='-O2 -fPIC -msse3' to the slackbuild it ran about 10 fps faster... 50 fps was all I got in a 3D game like Final Fantasy III. I guess they optimize the code for DirectX or something so under WINE the program runs faster. Are there any other DS emulators that I can use? iDeaS is closed source and there's no 64-bit linux build sad

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#4 2013-01-22 21:07:22

kaszak696

I ran Pokemon Black just fine on my ancient T4200, dunno how that translates to overall performance but i3 should be enough.
Fun Fact: The game is coming to Ouya as well.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#5 2013-01-24 19:16:33

lmello

And how about wi-fi? I read an FAQ that for the game I pretend to play you must 'send letters' to other users to complete the side-quests. I've seen tutorials on windows but none on linux or mac ports of desmume.

#6 2013-01-24 19:53:59

lmello

OMG in my notebook it ran at full speed! I had to compile the stable version tough and pass the '-O2 -fPIC -mssse3' to the ./configure script though. Sometimes it was way too fast... gee!

#7 2013-01-24 20:17:16

ZekeSulastin

lmello wrote:

'-O2 -fPIC -mssse3' to the ./configure script though. Sometimes it was way too fast... gee!

Don't you have march=native in CFLAGS in makepkg.conf?

#8 2013-01-25 16:15:22

lmello

No, I have:

CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buf
fer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"

instead... -msse3 is an important optimization flag on this specific application.

Board footer