You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-07 00:04:28

omgpro

Rubix

has anyone heard anything/tried Rubix linux? i was glancing through the news at distrowatch the other day, and i was like hey i love rubiks cubes! so i look at it's page and apparently it's basically slack with pacman and "a completely revamped init system, maintaining the BSD style, but adding modularity." sounds interesting. i wish i had any free time/disk space to try it out at the time being. so any info?

#2 2005-10-07 00:17:56

Gullible Jones

Re: Rubix

Looks pretty good, though hasn't gone to GCC 4 yet, and there seems to be a lot of software it doesn't include.

What irritates the hell out of me is that it appears, for all intents and purposes, to be an exact copy of Arch Linux. Now, I have no problem with people borrowing ideas and code and stuff... But aren't there enough distros out there already without people freaking cloning them?!

#3 2005-10-07 01:08:16

ozar

Here's a discussion about it from a few months back:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=12092

oz

#4 2005-10-07 03:18:11

Anonymo
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Looks pretty good, though hasn't gone to GCC 4 yet, and there seems to be a lot of software it doesn't include.

What irritates the hell out of me is that it appears, for all intents and purposes, to be an exact copy of Arch Linux. Now, I have no problem with people borrowing ideas and code and stuff... But aren't there enough distros out there already without people freaking cloning them?!

Well it's not really a clone.  It just uses pacman.  From there, it is based on being stable, not bleeding edge.  The packages are closer to Slackware, where they are supposed to have the EXACT packages.  Sometimes I wish there was a linux distro that fit everyone's needs perfectly, but there isn't.  Diversity is good.

#5 2005-10-07 19:37:11

omgpro

hmm, didn't notice that thread. probably should've searched  :oops:
anyways, it looks like a decent alternative for arch on older systems.  i've never actually used slack before, so i don't know how much i like it or not, but if rubix is slack with pacman, i might want to try it on that old 486 that's lying around.

Board footer