You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-07 04:24:03

lilsirecho
Veteran

Insert init s at boot prompt

init s  ...is recommended for fixing problems per the notes in the arch update discussion.

With lilo at boot prompt, nothing but lilo boot select is recognized.  Init s ..is not on lilo boot list.

Is there a way to init s ..with a lilo boot at the boot prompt?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-10-07 10:09:11

Gullible Jones

Re: Insert init s at boot prompt

No need to do it at boot time, just do 'telinit s' as root from the command line.

#3 2005-10-07 14:40:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Gullible;

Performed telinit s....reverted to wombat log-in and lost USB keyboard control.  Had to reset.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2005-10-07 14:56:39

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I don't think you're going to be able to use init s at lilo. Its for after the kernel is loaded. I'm guessing its used in the case that init doesn't execute one of its runlevels properly (ie runlevel 1(?) starting udev, turning on swap, then to runlevel3 where daemons and such are loaded). This command should just dump you into a usable prompt only to repair config files, for example rc.conf to remove hwd or hotplug which caused it to hang in the first place.

What exactly is your problem?

#5 2005-10-07 15:41:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

As reported in previous post, use of the telinit s command removed the USB keyboard enable and reset was mandatory.

I read that such command.. init -s was useable and attempted to use it without success, either as init -s or telinit -s.

Learning the system, these are new commands for me.

I have a problem with snd-usb-audio not present in 2.6.13.2 and it seems another problem with usb in telinit s.

The snd problem is the subject of a bug report #3900 Edit: #3300 and I expect at some time later it will be addressed.

I have another post regarding the snd problem so this post concerns the init  s commands.

Since it doesn't perform, I have no further interest in its use.

P.S.  The bootprompt is stated in the archlinux news notes!

Thanks for the advice big_smile

Board footer