You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-29 11:07:50

beachcoder

systemd and LUKS password decryption on boot

Hello!

Today I changed over to systemd with my Arch Linux desktop PC. All went fine, but there is one problem where I can't find a solution for. I have two LUKS-encrypted devices in my system, where the password should be asked for on boot. This works, also with systemd, but on my screen, the prompting text first appears, then systemd outputs some other status messages and then seems to wait for the password. This often yields in problems entering the password because I'm not sure where to enter it now. This is how my screen looks like. I marked the positions with the prompt and the associated passwords. As you see, typing the second password yields in an error, but I'm sure I did enter the correct one.

http://0wx.de/993415ef89c04d4287bf52cfd949fb10.jpg

Any idea how to fix this ugly look for the password boot prompt?

Thanks
- beachcoder

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

#2 2013-01-29 18:07:40

Stebalien
Website

Re: systemd and LUKS password decryption on boot

Set the following in /etc/systemd/system.conf:

ShowStatus=false

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#3 2013-05-31 12:29:00

jwhendy

Re: systemd and LUKS password decryption on boot

I hate to bump this for a non-solution-providing post, but I've been starting a truecrypt mounting service manually for a long time as I've not figured out how to do it at boot. Would you be kind enough to post your .service file?

Mine is currently:

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/truecrypt -t --protect-hidden=no -k "" --filesystem=none --slot=1 -p `systemd-ask-password "Enter password for truecrypt volume: "` /dev/sda4'

This doesn't seem to work at boot and the systemd-ask-password bit gets ignored during the boot process. I'd love to get this solved to save typing it manually time I boot.

Thanks!

Board footer