You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-31 22:43:45

AlecB

Uefi boot attempt from USB gives error

*I know that this has been discussed in many posts, but the solutions were vague and varied. This topic is an attempt to consolidate all the responses given in other topics into one comprehensive solution.*

I was attempting to UEFI boot Arch from a USB drive. My motherboard gave me the option to boot in UEFI or to boot normally. Attempting to boot normally works fine, but trying to boot normally gives me

No loader found. Configuration files in \loader\entries\*.conf are needed.

I proceeded to boot normally and set up the efi partition as per the Beginners' Guide. I still receive the error. Thanks.

Last edited by AlecB (2013-02-01 04:29:35)

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis

#2 2013-02-01 14:01:29

qinohe

Re: Uefi boot attempt from USB gives error

Did you even search?
A search with Google , take the first hit, look foor an answer from the.ridikulus.rat!

#3 2013-02-01 17:53:10

AlecB

I did search, multiple times, and:

the solutions were vague and varied. This topic as an attempt to consolidate all the responses given in other topics into one comprehensive solution.

Please at least read the post before replying.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis

#4 2013-02-01 18:18:15

qinohe

I don't quite understand what you want, but have you tried what the.ridikulus.rat said?
If you did, what went wrong?, saying the solutions are vague and varied don't help anyone that reads your post.
And I in fact did read your post.),

#5 2013-02-01 19:40:13

AlecB

I did read it, but I haven't yet installed the system, so I can't download the package. (Unless there is a way to install packages using a live usb.)

C. S. Lewis

#6 2013-02-01 19:41:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

AlecB wrote:

I did read it, but I haven't yet installed the system, so I can't download the package. (Unless there is a way to install packages using a live usb.)

That's how you install Arch, which is just a collection of packages...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2013-02-02 02:00:39

AlecB

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

All UEFI users with gummiboot "No loader found. Configuration files in \loader\entries\*.conf are needed." issues, use rEFInd instead.

1. Install extra/refind-efi 0.4.7-2 or above package

2. Replace existing (USB)/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi with /usr/lib/refind/refindx64.efi

3. Create (USB)/EFI/boot/refind.conf with the following contents

timeout 5

hideui singleuser

textonly
#resolution 1024 768

use_graphics_for osx

showtools about,reboot,shutdown,exit

scan_driver_dirs EFI/tools/drivers_x64

scanfor manual,internal,external,optical

scan_delay 1

#also_scan_dirs boot

dont_scan_dirs EFI/boot

#scan_all_linux_kernels

max_tags 0

default_selection "Arch Linux x86_64 Archboot"

menuentry "Arch Linux x86_64 Archboot" {
	icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_arch.icns
	loader /boot/vmlinuz_x86_64
	initrd /boot/initramfs_x86_64.img
	ostype Linux
	graphics off
	options "gpt loglevel=7 pci=nocrs add_efi_memmap none=UEFI_ARCH_x86_64"
}

menuentry "Arch Linux LTS x86_64 Archboot via EFILINUX" {
	icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_arch.icns
	loader /EFI/efilinux/efilinuxx64.efi
	initrd /boot/initramfs_x86_64.img
	ostype Linux
	graphics off
	options "-f \boot\vmlinuz_x86_64_lts gpt loglevel=7 pci=nocrs add_efi_memmap none=UEFI_ARCH_x86_64"
}

menuentry "UEFI x86_64 Shell v2" {
	icon /EFI/refind/icons/tool_shell.icns
	loader /EFI/tools/shellx64_v2.efi
	graphics off
}

menuentry "UEFI x86_64 Shell v1" {
	icon /EFI/refind/icons/tool_shell.icns
	loader /EFI/tools/shellx64_v1.efi
	graphics off
}

and boot with that USB.

EDIT: The menu text in refind-efi 0.4.7-2 will be right aligned. That is due to a minor string formatting issue in rEFInd source which has been fixed in upstream git repo. Anyway this does not affect the working of refindx64.efi .

I downloaded refined-efi, but when I tried to replace existing (USB)/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi with /usr/lib/refind/refindx64.efi (I ran

cp /usr/lib/refind/refindx64.efi sdb/EFI/boot/boot.64.efi

) I got the error:

cp: cannot stat /usr/lib/refind/refindx64.efi: no such file or directory

Last edited by AlecB (2013-02-02 02:03:16)

C. S. Lewis

#8 2013-02-02 03:38:09

srs5694
Website

The rEFInd binary is called refind_x64.efi in recent packages, not refindx64.efi. (In fact, it should never have been refindx64.efi; somebody decided to change the program's name in early packages, but then I started writing ancillary tools like mvrefind.sh that work only on the original name, so the Arch packagers changed it back. Note that I'm rEFInd's author, but I don't manage the Arch packages.)

#9 2013-02-02 03:45:06

the.ridikulus.rat

srs5694 wrote:

The rEFInd binary is called refind_x64.efi in recent packages, not refindx64.efi. (In fact, it should never have been refindx64.efi; somebody decided to change the program's name in early packages, but then I started writing ancillary tools like mvrefind.sh that work only on the original name, so the Arch packagers changed it back. Note that I'm rEFInd's author, but I don't manage the Arch packages.)

I wrote the first PKGBUILD for rEFInd but I don't remember why I used refindx64.efi instead of refind_x64.efi in the beginning. Guess I never bothered about filenames as long as it worked.

I don't think any of upstream scripts are included in the refind-efi pkg. Anyway we let the user manage his/her system so this is not an issue.

#10 2013-02-02 05:09:50

AlecB

Now I get :

cp: accessing  /dev/sdb/EFI/boot/boot.64.efi: no such file or directory

I think my usb is at stb. Thanks for the help.

C. S. Lewis

#11 2013-02-02 09:25:13

qinohe

AlecB wrote:

Now I get :

I think my usb is at stb. Thanks for the help.

Don't think you know, you need to know for sure!!!

I really like to see the commands you used to create your rEFInd USB,
don't say I used that wiki, no, sum up the commands you used.)

Last edited by qinohe (2013-02-02 09:28:45)

#12 2013-02-02 16:49:34

AlecB

So far all I've done, (beyond the basic installation), is to install the extra/refind-efi package and attempt to replace existing (USB)/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi with /usr/lib/refind/refindx64.efi, using

Which yields

Did I miss a step?

C. S. Lewis

#13 2013-02-02 17:55:08

qinohe

AlecB wrote:

So far all I've done, (beyond the basic installation), is to install the extra/refind-efi package and attempt to replace existing (USB)/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi with /usr/lib/refind/refindx64.efi, using

Must this not be

cp /usr/lib/refind/refind_x64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi

or

cp /usr/lib/refind/refind_x64.efi sdb/EFI/boot/refind_x64.efi

But than again I don't use rEFInd, this I saw in the wiki!

#14 2013-02-02 18:27:03

the.ridikulus.rat

AlecB wrote:

Which yields

Did I miss a step?

I think you first need to understand the difference between device (or partition) node/path and mountpoint. At the file cut/copy/paste/modify operations happen only within mountpoints, not with device paths. This is basic linux stuff and I suggest you read up on this before trying Arch or any linux distro for that matter.

In you case you first need to create a partition in your USB, format it to FAT32. These two operations are done with device paths. First operation SHOULD lead to /dev/sdb1 (1st partition within /dev/sdb which is the USB) and in the 2nd step you create a FAT32 filesystem within /dev/sdb1. After that you should mount the partition /dev/sdb1 to any dir that will act as its mountpoint and then do your cp/rm/mv operation in that. I have deliberately omitted giving the actual commands used for these steps in this post, since it is important to you learn them yourself if you want to use any linux distro.

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-02-02 18:27:41)

Board footer