You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-05 08:24:28

jithinkr

System Freeze And Blinking Caps Lock

After updating arch using pacman -Syu and rebooting the system, it freezes completely with the caps lock blinking.
It freezes completely means mouse pointer doesn't respond, can't shift to any other tty. I end up having to do a hard reset.

(Yet to try magic sys rq keys. Will go home and try.)

From other posts I have come to understand that the Caps Lock blinking points to a Kernel Panic.

My linux version is 3.7.5 (from uname -a)

The freeze happens while browsing the internet (any browser), and probably when opening pages with many images. (Doesn't freeze when opening arch linux wiki, but on opening youtube,facebook freeze!)

The freezing is not consistent though. Sometimes it happens when opening youtube and sometimes it lets me search for a video and when the video is playing it freezes.

No issues when playing videos stored on my hard disk.

From Arch linux news.

A potential issue with the upgrade on x86_64 is finding conflicting files in /usr/lib64. All Arch Linux packages that had files in this directory have been updated, so update these individually first. Any AUR packages with files in this directory should be updated to install them in /usr/lib.

Could this be it? Am not sure what has to be done here. I ran pacman and then did an packer update on all packages installed from AUR.

#2 2013-02-05 13:07:24

the sad clown

Re: System Freeze And Blinking Caps Lock

jithinkr wrote:

From Arch linux news.

A potential issue with the upgrade on x86_64 is finding conflicting files in /usr/lib64. All Arch Linux packages that had files in this directory have been updated, so update these individually first. Any AUR packages with files in this directory should be updated to install them in /usr/lib.

Could this be it? Am not sure what has to be done here. I ran pacman and then did an packer update on all packages installed from AUR.

This isn't your problem.  Try to provide the journalctl output for the times of these incidents.  A kernel panic should showsomething there.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2013-02-06 20:51:32

jithinkr

Re: System Freeze And Blinking Caps Lock

I think the issue is with the broadcom driver I have installed for the wireless.

When I connect to the internet via the wireless, the panic occurs.

But when I turned it off, and connected by tethering via mobile, no panics.

I'll now try reinstalling the broadcom driver. I will update this thread to SOLVED if this works out!

Board footer