You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-06 21:07:16

is0lated

[Solved] Flashplugin skipping

Solution was to do a complete reinstall.

When watching streaming flash videos while using awesome or i3, if the mouse is not moved for around 10 seconds the video freezes and the audio repeats the last second on loop until the mouse is moved. The video then jumps forward to where it would have been had it not frozen and pauses while the audio plays everything up to that point, then both continue. This issue doesn't appear when using E17.

Looking at the output of chromium and firefox, flash reports no errors other than failing to open the VDPAU backend (which I believe I shouldn't need).

Flashplugin, chromium, firefox, awesome, i3, and E17 were all installed using pacman -S 'package name'. All packages are the latest versions available.

My systems is as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
Ram: 4Gb
graphics card: AMD HD4890 using xf86-video-ati

Until recently I had been using lightspark from the AUR as a flash replacement and had tried gnash in the past as well.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows how to fix it as I can't seem to find any information on this issue.

Last edited by is0lated (2013-02-24 06:36:08)

#2 2013-02-07 02:54:20

the sad clown

Re: [Solved] Flashplugin skipping

I haven't had any problems with flashplugin (dwm + intel graphics).  When did this behavior start?

And I wouldn't worry about the VDPAU failure.  VDPAU is Nvidia's gpu video acceleration API.  You don't have Nvidia so it won't open.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2013-02-07 06:37:37

is0lated

I seem to recall having this problem when I first set up the system about a year ago, I think this was a reinstall after using windows for a while. Since then I've stopped using AMD catalyst and have been using lightspark.
I'm wondering whether it's something that broke way back during the install or in the transition between AMD to xf86-ati (maybe something with the custom repos), and whether it's worth just wiping and reinstalling.
Any idea whether it's possible to get flash to be more verbose?

#4 2013-02-08 10:56:54

is0lated

It seems this is actually a problem caused by a mixture of my X and flash. When the flash video freezes, everything other running program's windows also freeze.
Having glxgears running stops the issue happening, however running a SDL program does not. I suspect the reason that enlightenment17 doesn't have this problem is because of it's compositing.
I suspect that this means there's a problem with flash communicating with my x server.

Board footer