You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-07 14:02:16

justdanyul

pacman -Syu breaks catalyst again again :P

Right, I just upgraded my linux box at work, and as per usual, catalyst broke. The usual fix for this, is just to reinstall the catalyst-dkms package, which I did and everything is running again.

But, something different this time. Suddenly I have gotten the "AMD Unsupported Hardware" watermark, even though everything seems to be loaded correctly.

fglrxinfo shows

display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI FirePro V (FireGL V) Graphics Adapter
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL 9.00.11

amdcccle shows everything is detected properly as well.  aticonfig have broken on me though, now it gives me a "no supported adapters detected" message. Eventhough the graphics card (ATI FirePRO V59000) is supported and found by lspci.

So why the watermark? And what's up with aticonfig? tongue

Also, I'm curious, I'm running arch on three separate systems. Two using ATI cards, and one using a NVIDIA card. System upgrades haven't broken on me as of yet on the NVIDIA box, but the other two breaks every single time there's a kernel update.

What's weirder is, the breakage usually seems to be fixed simply by reinstalling catalyst-dkms. But, I don't understand why this is needed really? Surely, it must be possible to upgrade this package automatically when doing the system upgrade?

#2 2013-02-07 16:03:56

the sad clown

Re: pacman -Syu breaks catalyst again again :P

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2013-02-07 23:50:13

justdanyul

yes, I saw the wiki and ran the script. However, it still doesn't really explain why something which worked before, suddenly stopped working smile

#4 2013-02-08 00:00:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

justdanyul wrote:

yes, I saw the wiki and ran the script. However, it still doesn't really explain why something which worked before, suddenly stopped working smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anicca

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2013-02-08 10:09:23

justdanyul

jasonwryan wrote:
justdanyul wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anicca

That's a fairly convenient philosophy to apply to IT. However, I doubt that a lot of people would trust a product with the tagline  "works today, Buddha might break it tomorrow, such is life" for anything even remotely mission critical tongue

Last edited by justdanyul (2013-02-08 11:01:37)

#6 2013-02-08 13:53:11

the sad clown

I agree that this is an inconvenience, however it is your choice to install a proprietary binary blob that does not allow developers access to its code.  Additionally, AMD has not been the most reliable player in Linux-land.  The Arch wiki even notes that it has been removed from official repositories in the past because of these issues.  From the third paragraph of the wiki on Catalyst:

As of October 2012, binary packages are being offered. Currently, packages are available in the [community] repository, but it's unknown what will happen when an Xorg upgrade will break the driver. In the past, Catalyst has been dropped from official Arch support because of dissatisfaction with the quality and speed of development. Also, a legacy driver for Radeon HD 2xxx 3xxx 4xxx is not available in [community] yet. For more information, see this this forum post and onwards.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

Board footer