You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-10 08:18:37

Lord_Bad

Networking issues after a massive upgrade

I yesterday finally found the time to upgrade my home box after the big move of packages from testing to current and extra. I downloaded abount 900MB of upgrades which pretty much means I replaced almost everything. After ajusting a couple of settings I logged in my polished new GNOME 2.12, reached for my gaim as usual but it did not connect me... Hmm, I said to myself, perhaps some config file got replaced - but all was intact, rc.conf, resolv.conf...
However route gave me an error - unable to resolve hostname... I have two lan adapters, so when I did an ifconfig -a I expected to see eth0 and eth1, instead I saw eth0, eth1, eth0-00, eth1-00. I decided to disable from the bios the first adapter which is embedded in the MB, but I still got eth0 and eth-00 as my adapters. I noticed that the second had much longer MAC address than usual and I also noted the numbers forming it were serated by hyphens, not colons as usually... So can anyone help me? Does anybody have any ideas? I sorry that I can't send you some real output from my box here, but if you think it would essential I'll grab an Archie CD when I got home after work and use it to send some feedback from there. I thank you in advance for your help.

#2 2005-10-10 12:14:37

Beavis

Re: Networking issues after a massive upgrade

The "unable to resolve hostname error" could be caused by your /etc/hosts file. Just check it to make sure your machines hostname is listed in there.

I think the longer MAC address means your card is using IPV6 instead of IPV4, try adding "alias net-pf-10 off" to /etc/modprobe.conf to disable IPV6.

#3 2005-10-11 10:41:34

Lord_Bad

Re: Networking issues after a massive upgrade

No. Something is wrong with modprobe I guess. I noticed yesterday that the line that usually looked lieke this
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:A7:27:5D:A2
was like this
eth1-00      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-10-A7-27-5D-A2-00-00-00-00 or something like that
So I did a manual modprobe 8139too and I got
eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:A7:27:5D:A2
I changed the settings in rc.conf from eth1 to eth2, restarted the networking script and the network was OK. But this doesn's anwer the question what was wrong with it in the first place...

Board footer