You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-21 22:23:29

vande198

Recommended Disk Partitioning

What would be the recommended disk partitioning scheme?  I'm asking this because I like to put /var on a seperate partition, but I've found that this severly restricts what I can do with abs.  How large should I make my /var partition in order to have enough room to compile most of the abs ports, including the kernal?  Should I even bother with keeping /var on a seperate partition.

"To be a Spartan is to be a philosopher much more than to be an athlete."
Plato, the <i>Protagoras</i>, 342e-343a

#2 2003-10-21 23:36:15

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Recommended Disk Partitioning

You can always put abs somewhere else (or just copy out the directories that you need).  Abs just gives you access to the PKGBUILDs, they can be stored anywhere.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-10-22 01:44:10

vande198

So if I just copy the folder with the PKGBUILD in it to another parition, say /root on my / partition, it will build a binary just like it would under /var/abs?  Cool

"To be a Spartan is to be a philosopher much more than to be an athlete."
Plato, the <i>Protagoras</i>, 342e-343a

#4 2003-10-22 04:32:08

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You got it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2003-10-22 09:20:37

andy

You can also copy the whole tree somewhere else.

But then you should also tell the command 'abs' the location of the abs tree and you should edit /etc/abs/abs.conf . And if you really want to be careful, make a symbolic link from your actual abs tree to /var/abs

I also have /var on a rather smallish partition and have the abs tree now somewhere under /home . I did only the symlink and it works. (that /var partition was created before abs moved to /var :-) ... )

Board footer