You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-11 06:03:07

koz

KDE and multiple monitors

Hello,

I had to set up an monitor (in this case LCD TV) on my laptop to make a little presentation today. And I encountered a few issues.
(I don't know if this is related to KDE 4.10, or if this would have been an issue with 4.9, too)

Plugging in an HDMI monitor, it is properly detected by KDE and I get an option for it do automatically adjust the settings. It was reasonably fine.
However, the default output goes to the newly attached monitor (HDMI1) rather than the laptop screen (LVDS1) regardless of what I have select in the "primary output".
Even applications started before plugging in the external monitor are somehow redirected to it rather than my laptop (Position set to "Left of", not cloned).

However, things get substantially worse when the HDMI cable is unplugged, I get a message that a new monitor has been plugged in BUT IT SENDS THIS MESSAGE and the option to adjust settings to the monitor that was unplugged!
Absolutely everything is pushed to the left! KRunner, any program that has been launched they all go to the space where the non-existant screen should be.
I have to manually move Windows to the right to be able to see anything of value. And even when I do this I get a MASSIVE cursor within those Windows, until I get Display Settings in KCM right.

I would like to know what I can do to fix this, or if I am doing something wrong, or if this is a new bug with KDE 4.10? (I don't recall having such issues a few months ago?)
I expect to be doing a few more presentations in the near future and I don't have to spend unnecessary effort trying to fix something as trivial as disconnecting a secondary monitor.

Any advice is welcome.

Using KDE 4.10 with Intel HD 3000 (Sandby bridge).

Board footer